Sign in to follow this  
sandiego

Win 11 and voices (again)

Upgraded to Windows 11.   P2A is working, but I only see 3 voices now in my P2A config/voices/ pick list.

Windows 11 is different from 10, as I went through the video and I remember doing the edits in the registry.  Now, in Windows 11 those voice names don't show up in the registry.

My Windows Time & Language > Speech/ Voices shows 11 names and those test OK.

Dave, anyone else reporting this?  thanks

1 hour ago, sandiego said:

Upgraded to Windows 11.   P2A is working, but I only see 3 voices now in my P2A config/voices/ pick list.

Windows 11 is different from 10, as I went through the video and I remember doing the edits in the registry.  Now, in Windows 11 those voice names don't show up in the registry.

My Windows Time & Language > Speech/ Voices shows 11 names and those test OK.

Dave, anyone else reporting this?  thanks

I had the same problem and had to edit the registry again! Great tutorial here!

i9-11900k@5.1ghz | MSI Rtx3080ti 12gb | 32gb DDR4 Ram 3600mhz | 1Tb M.2 SSD | 4K LG C1 48" TV | Asus Tuf Gaming VG27AQ 27"  | Corsair iCUE H100i  Liquid Cooler |

The 11 voices showing up in Windows are going to be mostly Mobile voices, not Desktop voices which P2A needs.  The registry changes make the Mobile voices appear to be Desktop voices and so they work after the edits.

Making the registry changes again is required because installing a new OS wipes out the old registry.

Thanks guys, for me there is a step missing.  I'm watching that video, but it starts with voices in that folder, I need to know where to copy those from.  I'm keyword searching windows 11 voices registry and coming up with only Windows 10 hits.

• Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Speech_OneCore\Voices  has no voices in it
  • Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Speech\Voices  has no voices in it

Dave, I don't understand the distinction with Mobile voices

Edited by sandiego

You have to install languages as the video does in the very beginning to get the Registry populated with voices.

Then for each voice you have to export its file to some place you can edit it.  The video shows this starting at about 4:50

This is fairly complicated and could cause problems if you mess up your Registry.

There is an easier way to get additional voices.  Microsoft Desktop voices from different languages using a free program:

https://www.neuber.com/free/voicesinstaller/

Or, the new Polly voices from Amazon....although this can be a little complicated to get working.

There is a pinned topic on Microsoft voices for P2A.  It is fairly long, but has several ways of getting more voices.

Dave

Edited by Dave-Pilot2ATC

Dave, I'm grateful, but this isn't gonna come together without a struggle.

• Problem #1.  I went back to that video and it doesn't fit the Win 11 scenario
    • I can't install any English languages, because all available English voices are already installed, it doesn't give me a choice to uninstall or reinstall
    • At 4:50 in to that video it shows voices in the registry folder and my folders are empty
  • Problem #2.  In my Win 11 settings/Time & Language the Remove  button is grayed out
  • Problem #3.  I ran the exe in neuber and got an error message that I need the Microsoft Speech Platform Runtime.  Soooo, I look for that in a search and find that SDK 11 is not supported

I'll [mess] with this some more.  It's what I get for doing the Windows 11 upgrade.

Update:  OK, I found the right registry folders, by searching for "richard"

thank you again, most grateful

Edited by sandiego

Dave,

Not sure if you allow links to other sites, but I did find this video and it provided all the info I needed to install and use AWS Polly Voices. now have a wide range of voices in the system for a marginal cost. 

Hope this is ok. 

Jay