Sign in to follow this  
aerdt

Sound Card Question.

I would have posted in hardware forum but, it looks like no-one reads that forum. Does a sound card make any diference in FPS?I have the Onboard Sound Card on my P5ND2 MOBO.was thinking about a better Card.Mack

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes, a dedicated sound card makes some, but little difference as the onboard sound cards usually eat up some CPU cycles and memory, while dedicated cards are able to process everything on the board.At this point I would recommend against all Creative cards. While they are still very popular and have been almost a monopoly over many years, Creative has definitely taken a downturn when it comes to product and driver support and quality.Personally, I would recommend the Auzentech and HT Omega cards, which all got excellent reviews and cost a fraction of the Creative cards.Pat

Hi Pat:Personally, I welcome hearing of new innovations and competition in the technology marketplace, and I appreciate reading your feddback on a new alternative sound card line.Yet I also have personally never experienced any problems with my multiple Creative sound cards (I've used one of each model from their very first through the Audigy versions over the years in various computers at home and at my office).I was unaware of any recent changes such as you describe (aside from a long wait to get through to the apparently understaffed tech support department who have a difficulty finding references and drivers for some of their much older models which I actually still have running!)Could you tell us a bit more and/or link to some further info about your concerns with the Creative sound cards?Thanks! :-) GaryGB

Hello Gary,I try to get a little deeper into my criticism for Creative. For a longest time, Creative has had a monopoly when it comes to gaming soundcards and I really never considered anything else.It is no secret that Creative drivers are considered to be one of the worst in the industry. Pops, clicks, chipset incompatibilites, CTD are very common. Just take a look at the Creative message boards. Their driver packages have become a bloated and highly unstable in my experience. A full driver installation is about about 40MB with a lot of unecessary addons that just keeps on eating up more CPU cycles and memory than even the simplest on-board card. Competitive soundcards like M-Audio and Auzentech have much more light-weight and stable drivers. Creative is known to spit out a wide variety of sound cards ranging from $30 to over $200, yet there is actually very little difference between the cards for the average gamer.Creative's support is horrendous. Full Vista driver support is marginal and a lot of their most popular cards (Audigy 2, SB16, Live) are not supported anymore or very marginally to make the user spend another $100 for Vista driver support. Their professional line from E-mu is not better. I have an E-mu 0404 and experienced the same problems.After years of struggeling with my Creative cards and dozen of boards ranging from SB16 to the Creative "professional" series, I have decided to try out a freeware driver package, the kxDrivers and I was blown away with the increase in audio quality. I am an hobby audiophile and have my setup run through very high-end studio monitors and I could immediately notice the difference.A few months ago, I thought I give one of the Auzentech sound boards a shot and was extremely pleased by the "out of the box" sound quality and the light-weight drivers. No more proprietary applets and nagging (and impossible to uninstall) programs running in the background that noone needs. It was truly an eye opener. For a fraction of the price.Pat