Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Highway puzzle? Want a mystery challange?

I have been trying to somewhat weane myself from FS9 and adapt to FSX. Lacking a good heavy or exec.Jet with an FMC, I decided to go with an IFR flight and peek at the scenery. ("I follow roads" too lazy to get the old plotter and Kane Dead Reckoning Computer out)My intention was to fly from KLWB, Lewisburg, WV to KBTR, Baton Rouge, La. You may want to take a peek at a highway road map in your pursuit if this interests you at all.I followed Interstate 64 from Lewisburg to Beckley in a westerly direction. At Beckley I turned in a southerly direction following Interstate 77 which runs from Charleston, WV to Charlotte, NC. Everything went swimingly until.....N37 degrees 21.79 min. W81 degrees 2.88min.I believe this is the intersection (not identified by FSX in any way) of Interstate 77 and what I believe to be Highway 460 at Princeton, WV which runs from Blacksburg, Va to Tazewell, Va. If you continue to follow the same highway, shortly thereafter you will loose your automobile traffic, turn to a westerly direction and fly to Tazewell, Va. On FSX only, Interstate 77 switched to Highway 460 going west, and Interstate 77 disappeared. In reality Interstate 77 is a straight line at this point headed south. At first I thought I just had the wrong intersection and followed the wrong path, but I don't think so. I backtracked and tried to find the path South on Interstate 77 multiple times at length and never found it.Now the kicker! If you will slew your plane a little North of the intersection in question (above coordinates) turn your aircraft to 200 degrees and slew or fly South on that heading, you will shortly pick up Interstate 77 again. It will continue until you intersect Interstate 81 at Wytheville, Va. and I assume continue on to Charlotte (I did not continue past this point)Rivers and roads that quit and then resumed at another point have always been included with FS, so this was not that big a surprise, however, the following was to me: I then flew the 200 degree heading again past the puzzling intersection and picked up Interstate 77. I stopped my plane, went into slew mode, turned my aircraft around from the southerly direction to a northerly direction and backtracked Interstate 77, expecting it to end at some point. Much to my surprise it continued straight on through the intersection in question back to Beckley. Going South, this same Highway turns west to Tazewell, not South (which is reality) to Wytheville.If you are confused, that makes two of us. No, it is in the morning and I have had nothing but decaf coffee to drink and am not into drugs. Stick your bird just North of my coordinates above and give it a try. Makes me wonder if there are more of these. HOW I MISS USA ROADS AND/OR ULTIMATE TERRAIN! In FS9 with these provisions there is no sign of a problem.Happy flying:RTH

Ok, I went to check it out on my system and kept google maps open to compare, since my knowledge of that area isn't real sharp.I saw where 460 and 77 intersect, at the coordinates you pointed out. It seems that 460 just crosses right over it, and 77 continues south before making a cut to the west, as it does in real life.At that point, 112 crosses it and runs over into 460. Where 77 looks like it will cut back south, it ends at a cloverleaf that dumps onto a smaller road (52, Cumberland Road), I think, which also goes and runs into 460. 77 just appeared to vanish into the mountain, until I flew over it and saw it continued on the other side.I flew back and forth a few passes, and everything seems to be in shape. I think I got the idea of what you were talking about, but I didn't see it here.Could you drop me some screenshots?

Hello Brian:Got up this morning and retraced my path, and figured out my problem. I OWE FSX AN APOLOGY! They did too good a job for a dummy. Interstate 77 does in fact, "vanish into the mountain" just as you said in the real world as well. I guess I expected FSX to ignore a tunnel at that point that goes through the mounatin and really exists. There is a road at the entrance of the tunnel that is a sharp 90 degrees to the right and is a lengthy westward bypass to the tunnel which is the path I was mistaking to be the continuation of Interstate 77.In fact, a few miles farther on Interstate 77, there is a second tunnel that I have not checked out yet. It passes under the state line between West Virginia and Virginia.Thanks for the reply:Respectfully:RTHEdit:I have attempted to upload a couple of screenshots. The first is the intersection in question. The second is a few miles south from this intersection at the entrance of the tunnel.