Sign in to follow this  
blave

Remote connection issue

I have  a gaming PC and laptop on the same network (wireless). I have LittleNavMap on both machines, and Little NavConnect on the PC (where I run MSFS). 

When I start up Little NavConnect, it shows "connected to simulator" after I start MSFS, and when I do Tools > Toggle Flight Simulator Connection on the laptop, it shows "Connected" on the status bar, and the PC's Little NavConnect shows

[2021-11-20 15:20:20] Connection from Predator.attlocal.net (192.168.1.80)

I have "Show simulator aircraft position" enabled on the laptop, but I don't see an airplane and doing a "center" on it does nothing. What am I missing?

thanks,

Dave

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Sounds ok so far.

The aircraft position is only shown after sitting in the cockpit.
What does the status bar and tooltip in LNM show? Something like "Connected to ..."?

Alex

Yesterday I started a flight in FS, turned on the autopilot, and then looked at LNM on the remote (laptop) machine. It said "Connected" in the status bar at the bottom. LN Connect on the PC shows that the laptop is connected

I just tried it again, and right now my flight is on autopilot, but there is no airplane in LNM on the laptop. In the status bar it says "No position" even though it says "Connected" to the left of that.

Edited by blave

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

39 minutes ago, blave said:

In the status bar it says "No position" even though it says "Connected" to the left of that.

The "No position" means that your mouse cursor does not overlap with the map. This is the place the coordinates and declination are shown. Status bar is explained here: https://www.littlenavmap.org/manuals/littlenavmap/release/2.6/en/STATUSBAR.html It has nothing to do with the connection.

I'd say this is a firewall issue but the "Connected" indication shows that it is ok. Can you see anything in the "Simulator Aircraft" tab "Progress"?

Alex

OK I figured it out, I think. The database files did not match between the two machines. Since you mention this in the instructions, my apologies for wasting your time. I thought they would match since my two MSFS installations are essentially identical, but they did not.

Thanks Alex!

Edited by blave

Hi,

After a prolonged absence from sim flying due to COVID I have now resurrected my X-Plane 11 sim. After installing the latest LNM version I am now having the same problem as discussed below in that I cannot get the user aircraft data working on a remote PC.  I am running the same version of LNM on both the flying and remote PC and have the plug-in loaded.  I use the Little Navconnect application and this is reporting that the connection has been made.  I can confirm this by shutting down Little NavConnect and the LNM on the remote PC displays the Remote end closed connection message.

If I run LNM on the same PC as the simulator then that works perfectly.

Are there any logs that I can send to help you to help me troubleshoot this issue

Thanks

Rick

1 hour ago, Skyhawk_Kid said:

Are there any logs that I can send to help you to help me troubleshoot this issue

Hi Rick,

this sounds all ok so far. The connection seems to be no problem. No logs needed, I think.

Check if menu -> "Map" -> "Show aircraft" and "Map" -> "Center aircraft" are checked.
And don't forget that you have to "sit in the cockpit" to see the aircraft position in LNM.

Alex

Thanks Alex,

Show Aircraft and Centre Aircraft are both selected and I am sitting in the cockpit.  I am running LNM on both the X-Plane PC and a remote PC (just for this testing purpose).  LMC on the X-Plane PC works fine.

Could it be the UDP traffic being prevented from coming thru?

P.S - don't know if this is significant but the last time I had this working I was letting Windows obtain an IP address automatically with DHCP.  This time I am using Static IP addresses of 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101

A router usually assigns a more or less random address to a computer in the network. You can change this in the router settings to assign always the same address to a computer in the local network.

Use the computer name if the IP address changes too often.

Alex

Ok I've tried different IP addresses and that does not work.  I've used the Computer Name and that connects ok.  If I use the computer name there is a delay of about 15secs before the connection is made. If I use IP addresses then the connection is almost instant.  Another difference is that on the LNM that is running on the same pc as XPlane the status bar in the middle says Connected(XP) but on the remote PC LNM status bar just says connected.  I tried looking for an easy way to check if the UDP packets were being blocked but got too hard. Its frustrating that it works on a local PC but even though the connection is made on the remote PC no plane data is received.

Any more ideas.  I'm going to try and load up another PC with LNM and see if I can get that one to work

Well the 2nd remote pc didn't work either.  I'm beginning to suspect my router may be blocking the UDP packets. I've turned off my anti-virus and that didn't help

Rick

Edited by Skyhawk_Kid
Updated

23 hours ago, Skyhawk_Kid said:

Ok I've tried different IP addresses and that does not work.  I've used the Computer Name and that connects ok.  If I use the computer name there is a delay of about 15secs before the connection is made. If I use IP addresses then the connection is almost instant.

Might be that DNS resolution (computer name to IP-address translation) is not configured right. Maybe you have to add a domain to the computer name defined by your router like ".local", ".home" or ".fritz.box".
Or you can configure your route to always use the same IP-address for the same computer as I did here in my network.

The tooltip (small help window shown when hovering the mouse above) on the status field has more information about the status.

Alex

DNS shouldn't affect the UDP not getting through (if that is the case).  I know TCP is ok as I can ping both ways. Using static IP's on the PC's didn't work.

I'll try using static routes on the router but not holding my breath.  Next option is to reset the router to default and then maybe an earlier version of LNM

Rickl