Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Is this going to be a trend?

Guest SSmokin

Instead of aftermarket developers working with the new improved product, FSX, it seems that some are just trying to find ways to incorperate old FS9 files into new, i.e. FScene4X. If we want a simulator to look like FS9, wouldn't we just play FS9? They don't do FSX any justice, as the game in it's "stock" form, looks too crisp to add an FS9 scenery. I know it's not ALL developers, I know that Flight1 is working on a new Ground Environment, I just wish that some developers would go back to the drawing board, and be creative with the new product. This is not meant to insult any develpoers, they are all great for our hobbie and very talented people, I'm just excited to see the future of FS, not a re-hashed product. Just my opinion. Thanks.

We're in a transition phase.I think we should not expect everything to change immediately, and sure enough things are not.It will be a gradual morphing process.Eventually even HJG will come over to the dark side. RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi there,that's a good point. I believe the specific requirements of "native" FSX add-ons are the main reason for the long "delay" in bringing new stuff on the market (both free and payware) that takes full advantage of the new features of FSX (aside from the other issues with FSX and the upcoming release of SP1, which incorporates a whole bunch of changes that also affect design choices and methods).I can only speak about landscape/scenery projects. Initially, we thought it would take us not more than a few weeks or months to get our FS9 projects ported to FSX, including adding some of the new FSX functionality.Or not!!! Turns out that full compatibility, in combination with the new features of the sim, does require pretty much a start from scratch. By the time we're done with our projects we will have spent about 70-80% again of the time required for the original FS9 release.The downside of this is, of course, that there's a long wait for FSX users and that upgrades for "real"-FSX payware can't carry deep discounts for existing customers. Then again, a fully optimized landscape/scenery project for FSX really is a very different thing from any FS9 scenery. I wasn't all that hot on FSX in the beginning but now that the elements of our projects come together the wow factor starts happening, at least for those who like to fly with their eyes above the panel ;-)Cheers, Holger

Can't expect developers to push out new product until after SP1 is released. For example, in another thread, Rob Young of RealAir Simulations said they had to wait for SP1 before they could be sure their product would work on people's systems.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest SSmokin

Thanx for the response all. I do understand that SP1 is going to be a key ingredient for developers, so why is it that some developers choose to try and maybe rush out products? I know that we all anticipate the future of FSX, but not at the expense of selling it short of it's capabilities, or even looking like FS9. Now, I know that we all have that option to buy, or not buy, but I'm just taken by companies that try to put something out for FSX that just doesn't look complete, primarily, because it was built for FS9. Again, thanx for the responses

Me again,well, one reason I can think of is that people need to feed their families. The release of FSX as it is has definitely split the market, which can be a real issue with a user base that is as limited in numbers as ours. Whether your stuff sells 1000 or 500 copies may make the difference between sustainability and bankruptcy. Considering that development of a high-quality product will take many months (and receiving payment many more after that) not many payware developers or teams can afford to wait six months or more until the dust has settled in regards to FSX.At the same time, while the market for FS9 add-ons is definitely not dead it's also not any better than it was before the release of FSX, despite what reading these and other forums may suggest. Cheers, Holger