Sign in to follow this  
blave

Aircraft trails for Logbook entries

Yesterday I opened a few logbook entries and could see the dotted aircraft trail lines. But today, it's not working, and I have the "show simulator aircraft trail" box turned on. Is there something else that needs to be done to make them visible? All I see is the blue line from departure to destination.

In the Information > Logbook pane I see a bunch of entries in the Route Description, e.g. 

Route Description:
KMDW N0100A025 4152N08737W 4154N08736W 4153N08737W 4153N08737W 4153N08737W 4153N08738W 4153N08739W 4153N08739W 4153N08740W 4152N08741W 4152N08742W 4151N08745W 4149N08748W 4149N08748W 4149N08749W 4148N08749W 4147N08751W 

(etc.)

3846N09011W KSTL

So it appears that the trail data is still there. I must be doing something dumb.

That is on my "remote" machine that I do flight planning on. The LNM on my flight sim PC is working properly. I've compared their configurations/options and do not see any discrepancies.

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Update: It worked today for a flight that I did, and in most cases is now showing up for my logbook entries. Let me try to figure out what changed/going on.

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

You can see the trail and flight plan preview only when selecting a single logbook entry. This is so to avoid overloading and freezing the program when selecting hundreds of entries and showing their trails. Maybe one reason.

Sometimes you also get extra entries when doing a replay or redoing the landing. These won't contain a useful trail and I usually delete these.

The route description ("KMDW N0100A025 ...") has nothing to do with the flown trail. This is generated from your flight plan.

So, there is quite some some stuff attached to the log entry:
- Flight plan as LNMPLN file. Can be loaded from the logbook context menu and saved to a file but is not shown on the map when clicking on a logbook entry.
- Flown trail in a GPX file which is shown as dashed line on the map. Can be saved for Google Earth or other tools.
- A simplified flight plan "preview" also stored in the GPX file. This is shown on the map with waypoints as white circles.
- And the route description text built from the flight plan. Can be used to rebuild a flight plan in other tools. Not used for any map display. Can be loaded in "Flight Plan" -> "new flight plan from route description".

See also here about all this logbook stuff: https://www.littlenavmap.org/manuals/littlenavmap/release/2.6/en/LOGBOOK.html

Alex

Thank you Alex.

I'll take a ride on this post instead of creating a new one... I tried the logbook feature today, for the first time. It looks great, with lots of information!

However, I could see the aircraft's horizontal trail in the Map window, but not the vertical one in the Elevation Profile window. Is the trail recorded in the logbook limited to the horizontal track only or am I missing something? 

Edited by Conao

MSFS 2020
Windows 10-64 Home
Intel i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz OC
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
RAM 32.0 GB

17 hours ago, Conao said:

However, I could see the aircraft's horizontal trail in the Map window, but not the vertical one in the Elevation Profile window. Is the trail recorded in the logbook limited to the horizontal track only or am I missing something? 

The altitude information is stored in the logbook entry which is actually using an attached GPX file. You can save this file for other programs like Google Earth but you cannot view it in the LNM profile.

Alex

2 hours ago, albar965 said:

The altitude information is stored in the logbook entry which is actually using an attached GPX file. You can save this file for other programs like Google Earth but you cannot view it in the LNM profile.

Alex

Ok, clear. Thanks!

Any chance the logbook could save the vertical speed on touchdown? There're many apps doing it now, dedicated add-ons or flight trackers, such as FSHub, Volanta and SimToolkitPro but, honestly, after trying most of them, I keep going back to the combo LNM + Navigraph for all my planning, tracking and logging. Of course, this excludes the online maps, but this is not my thing. LNM is a fantastic application, full of everything I need (and way more) for planning and tracking, and now I discovered it's a great logbook too. The only info I'm missing in the logbook is the landing data. It would be great to have it and skip all those other softwares.  🙂

MSFS 2020
Windows 10-64 Home
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
RAM 32.0 GB

5 hours ago, Conao said:

Any chance the logbook could save the vertical speed on touchdown?

Sorry, unlikely to happen. A bit out of scope IMO. LNM does not record the movements fast enough for now to get a precise value.
I'd leave this up to the other software and prefer not to pack LNM too much.

Alex

11 hours ago, albar965 said:

Sorry, unlikely to happen. A bit out of scope IMO. LNM does not record the movements fast enough for now to get a precise value.
I'd leave this up to the other software and prefer not to pack LNM too much.

Alex

No worries, fair enough. I just had to give it a try...  😉 

MSFS 2020
Windows 10-64 Home
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
RAM 32.0 GB