Sign in to follow this  
Guest tornie

Making a Tower Sim from FSX ??

Guest tornie

HiNice to be here again after many years without time flying with flightsim. I do like the FSX.I also remember the old Tower SIM, which I play with for a very long time. FSX has it all. MS could use all that is inside the FSX and to make a real GOOD Tower simulator. It will sure be a Big Hit!Go in the tower, or on a Tracon and controled all the AI plane.What do you all think of the Ide? That would be great!MS, are you listener??Take care, and have a nice dayTor NielsenOslo-Norway

Hey Tor,Always glad to hear someone who used and liked the old Tower Sim, since I was one of the devs who worked on it :->.If you thought the "game" version was cool, you should have seen the "PRO" setup we installed in the basement under the old OHare tower. It had 3 1280x1024 projectors hitting 100" screens allowing roughly 135 degree field of view, each running off its own computer with a TIGA card with custom 2D graphics software running on the card (basically I ported the FS4 2d engine to run on it :-> ), 1 computer doing just sound, another just makeing the aircraft move around, another for the instructors station, and 1 for the actual controller that also had a $3000 voice rec card (this was '90/'91 ish) - I think I may still have one of those voice rec cards in the basement (but its ISA bus, so won't work in any computer I have these days, and the MS Agent voice rec probably works just as well these days :-> ). It was a very cool setup for its day :->Not sure if we will ever add that sort of thing to FS though, but I seem to recall that someone was working on something along those lines using SimConnect.

Guest Phantoms

Look at the bottom of the page at http://www.sg-flightware.de/ and you'll see "AICommander - ATC simulation using FlightSimulator 2004 or FlightSimulator X" as currently being developed. This has been listed there for some time and I have not seen any more info on it though.

Guest tornie

That looks very interesting.Thanks.