Sign in to follow this  
Scottish Wings

ATC Instruction During Flight v Flight Plan

Hello folks,

I have a question perhaps someone can help with.

When using P2ATC for setting my flight plan in my FMC as well as for ATC guidance (I love this BTW), why is it that I sometimes get ATC guidance to change heading when in my cruise when it appears from the flight plan map I am following the routed as indicated?

Is this normal, and I should follow the ATC guidance until I receive the 'resume navigation' message or do I ignore this.

I was assuming that the ATC knows something I don't and is adjusting my route accordingly, but really not sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks..

Edited by Scottish Wings

If you zoom in to the plane, you will likely see that it is off course.

If you're in a turn, you may be able to ignore it and your autopilot will get you back on course.

It it's happening on a straight course, you may want to increase the allowed course deviation to reduce or eliminate the off course calls. 

However, if you get one, you want to get back on course to prevent them from repeating..

Dave

9 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

If you zoom in to the plane, you will likely see that it is off course.

If you're in a turn, you may be able to ignore it and your autopilot will get you back on course.

It it's happening on a straight course, you may want to increase the allowed course deviation to reduce or eliminate the off course calls. 

However, if you get one, you want to get back on course to prevent them from repeating..

Dave

OK, many thanks. I will have a closer look. Thanks

On 2/7/2022 at 8:23 AM, Scottish Wings said:

OK, many thanks. I will have a closer look. Thanks

Hi Dave.

Been flying the same route EGPD to EGLL a few times now, and often when I get to about Manchester I typically get an 'off course' warning from ATC. When I look at the map, I am to the right of the flight plan line, however every time ATC instructs me to make a right turn taking me further away from the planned route. Is this is be expected, or should it tell me to make a left turn to bring me back to the line? I should mention that this is when I am in the cruise at 31,000ft and pretty much hands off taking in the view.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Stuart

It depends.

If you are flying a course direct to EGLL and have ATC assign the STAR, then as soon as the STAR is assigned you would probably be off course and might need a right turn to get back on course, depending on which STAR is assigned.  ATC changes its flight plan right away and may give instructions that don't make sense against the not-yet-updated plan on the screen.

If you are between two waypoints in your flight plan that are not part of a SID or STAR, then it could be a bug.  Be sure you are on the latest Public Beta 2j.

If this happens on most flights, try increasing the Allowed Course Deviation to allow for differences in how your aircraft flies the route and what P2A is expecting.

Dave

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

It depends.

If you are flying a course direct to EGLL and have ATC assign the STAR, then as soon as the STAR is assigned you would probably be off course and might need a right turn to get back on course, depending on which STAR is assigned.  ATC changes its flight plan right away and may give instructions that don't make sense against the not-yet-updated plan on the screen.

If you are between two waypoints in your flight plan that are not part of a SID or STAR, then it could be a bug.  Be sure you are on the latest Public Beta 2j.

If this happens on most flights, try increasing the Allowed Course Deviation to allow for differences in how your aircraft flies the route and what P2A is expecting.

Dave

Thanks Dave, will try the deviation tip. 🙂