Sign in to follow this  
109Sqn

AH Spitfire re-install failure

Whilst trying to re-install the Spitfire (v1.5.25), I suffered a BSoD (connected or not, I don't know). After the restart, I received an error when going back to the Spitfire installation:

“An error (-5004 : 0x80029c4a) has occurred while running the setup.

Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: Aeroplane Heaven (MSFS)”

Detail:

Error Code:         -5004 : 0x80029c4a

Error Information:

>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1931)

pAPP:Spitfire Mk1a MSFS

PVENDOR:Aeroplane Heaven (MSFS)

PGUID:3A9D2EEF-9BDB-4AAC-B2D4-435CAEA5CCC4

$7.1.100.1248PAK

@Windows   (9200) IE 11.0.22000.120

I even tried the previous version (v1.5.1) and tried installing in Windows Safe Mode, but nothing has worked so far. I've emailed the above to AH, but in the meantime I welcome any suggestions here.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Well, it seems Just Flight have been a bit cheeky. They are supplying the Aeroplane Heaven Spitfire as an exe installer when it should be a simple zip file to extract into the Community folder! Below are extracts from a very helpful discussion I've had with Aeroplane Heaven:

We have copied the error code to Asobo to see what they have to say about this. This is something we have never seen before and to be honest with an error code that references Stock VS code core functionality ( the  SETUPDLL.CPP bit ) we are literally as clueless as to what is going on . Unfortunately we will need to Wait. 

The only thing I can ask is why are you running a setup ? The Spitfire is purely a zip file. You unzip it to your community folder and then run the game. It either will not show up ( and then there is a problem with the spitfire ) or it will in which case there isnt. At not point in any part of the spitfire is it ever asking for setup or setupdll’s of any sort. It is as free of all that sort of thing as it can be as it is raw. 

Anyway we wait on a reply but till then I will ask for the following information .

- Your computer specifications including video card , ram . Processor 

- What other addons have you installed in particular aerodynamic plugins.

- Any enhancements shader tweaks , system tweaks that have been done to your video card and tweaks to shaders.

- Windows version 

- MSFS settings regarding graphics and performance. 

- What else is running during this issue.

- Which store did you download/buy from. 

- Any peripherals that might be over riding stock functionality of the game.

- Any plugins that also do this.

We have noticed a lot of people are changing the stock functionality of the game to suit their own use case scenarios. Which is fine of course but if this is the case we wont be able to help as we expect complete stock versions. 

Also need to ask if you are still using the beta version of the game. It was supposed to roll over to the Release version but there are some reports it has not. 

I use the AddonsLinker program to control add-ons and had them all deactivated prior to trying to install the Spitfire.

GPU is running at stock settings – I value stability over overclocking and tweaking.

Resolution 2560x1440; V-Sync on; Frame rate limited to 30FPS; DX11; Global Rendering Quality Ultra; TAA Terrain LOD 200; Object LOD 200. I haven’t made much in the way of changing settings since the re-install. Let me know if there are other settings you want to know about.

Nothing else running.

As above, bought from Just Flight.

Not sure any peripherals are over riding the sim, but I have Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttleThrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedalsXbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

No plugins.

I haven’t at any time used the Beta version of MSFS.

I’ve attached a screenshot of my Just Flight account page, showing the exe files (FYI, no personally identifiable info included).

Darn! It isnt an Asobo issue , I have closed the issue with them. The issue is Justflight’s. 

The product shouldn’t be EXE’s EVER. I have contacted Justflight to ask what is going on there and who on their team you need to talk to, to resolve your issue.  They should be zips containing only the parts needed.

Unfortunately we didn’t ask for or make the installer and cant provide support for it. 

When I get a response from them I will forward the details to you. My suggestion is that it is an installer issue with windows 11 and they need to look at their .net runtimes ( or you might  ) but again we provide and expect zip files and can only help with our product if it is unmodified. They will be able to help you with the installation process. 

I also highly recommend you NOT use any addonlinking programme. We dont rely on it and cant be sure if it is doing its job correctly or not. Installing addons is as simple as unzip into the community folder. It doesnt require a programme to do.

What a weird way Just Flight have opted to do things!

I’d only just done a fresh upgrade from Win10 before re-installing MSFS, and aside from having to run the RAM at the motherboard’s stock settings instead of XMP, things were reasonably stable in the sim. Now though, I’ve had those two BSoDs (both of them “CRITICAL PROCESS DIED” which I’ve never seen before) and Edge browser is crashing after 2 seconds each time I launch it since late last night! Haven’t been able to repair it so far, even with a Windows repair. I’ve a horrible feeling it’s going to end up as wipe and start from scratch again.

The Addons Linker doesn’t work as an installer, it simply creates symbolic links in the Community folder so that you can keep addons in a separate folder and activate/deactivate them before launching the sim, to load only those addons you wish to use for that session. It helps everything load quicker and run smoother. In short, it does the same job as removing items from the Community folder without requiring all those read/write operations and makes it far easier to keep tabs on what addons you have.

I have received a response from Justflight. You have 2 options.

1. Contact their support/forum 
https://support.justflight.com/support/home  or their direct email  support@justflight.com  They should be able to help you with the install issue.
Or
2. They have said that they are going to re upload the products from now on as zip files which will mean that you no longer need to install but just unzip. I dont know when this would happen though.  The person has said that all you need to do is to log in to your account and download the zip files instead of the installers.

We have also asked that they stop making installers for our products so this shouldn’t be an issue in the future.

Hope this helps

Hopefully this helps anyone else who may run into problems with this addon when bought through Just Flight.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)