Sign in to follow this  
spilok

My favorite FSUIPC capability

For years, I have used this FSUIPC capability to give me the AIRPORT NAMES as I fly.  It's a toggle on/off feature that I control with a selected keyboard press.  I first read about this a few years back on this forum and I have been using it ever since.  I allows me to see the airport names in a small red font that is unobtrusive and can be toggled on when you want it.  Here's the exact instructions on how to do it if you are so inclined:

There's a couple of steps - first - locate the STANDARD.XML file in your C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Controls folder - edit it and search for CTRL+SHIFT+P 
mine looks like this: (v4 or v5 are both capable of using this)
<Entry>
            <Key>CTRL+SHIFT+P</Key>
            <Down>POSITION_FREEZE_USER</Down>
        </Entry> 
change it to this 
<Entry>
            <Key>CTRL+SHIFT+P</Key>
            <Down>TOGGLE_AIRPORT_NAME_DISPLAY</Down>
        </Entry> 
and save it. 

I then go into FSUIPC under the heading "Key Presses" and activate the command
Now all you need do is use the keyboard or assign it to a button. 
If you map through FSUIPC you can directly assign TOGGLE_AIRPORT_NAME_DISPLAY to a button

See if you like this tweak, and if anyone can figure out how to change the font to a little bit larger size, I would really appreciate your expertise advice on how to do that.

Stan

Edited by spilok
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, spilok said:

There's a couple of steps - first - locate the STANDARD.XML file in your C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Controls folder - edit it and search for CTRL+SHIFT+P 

You shouldn't need to change the default key presses in P3D to achieve this. Just assigning your button to the control Toggle Airport Name Display should do this, or assigning this control to a key press.

John

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

You shouldn't need to change the default key presses in P3D to achieve this. Just assigning your button to the control Toggle Airport Name Display should do this, or assigning this control to a key press.

John

Geez...who knew?  Thanks.  Seems I went through a lot of tweaking to get what's already there.

Stan