Sign in to follow this  
RESET MCP ALT

Dual core optimisation

Hi Phil. I would like to thank the team for the work that was done. There were some needed fixes in there. But I have a question that I know some people need answered. What is this dual core optimization supposed to do. I know that a few have disabled the second core as an experiment and have had no change to performance, I know I certainly didnt. With one core running or both cores running, frame rates are the same, no blurries that i can notice, all the autogen more or less appear to pop up in the same place and sim is just as smooth. Yet when I enable the second core it will hit 100% at times and the first more or less just sits there at 100%, so what is it doing. I would have thought that having the second core load textures and what not that the autogen etc would be popping up so quick i wouldnt notice it or at least there would be a frame rate difference but no, zilch. Its like the second core is a person riding a bike with the chain off, his legs are going flat out but he is going no where. It has me intrigued. I wonder if Intel duo cores notice the same thing. Would also love the terrain draw radius back its killing us.Asus m2n Mobo2 Gig 800 MHz cas 4 RamAMD X2 64 6000 ( 3 gig )XP pro SP22 X 250 Gig SATA hdNvidia 8800 GTS 320 Meg Video

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've noticed the same thing from the Intel camp. In fact, I did a run of my 12 minute cross-Seattle benchmark on both dual and single core, and FPS-wise the single core won out (albeit only just). Here's a graph of the results:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/172507.jpgThis translates to: Min Max AvgSP1 DC 9 35 23.604SP1 SC 11 38 24.468% Gain 22% 9% 4%.. with the gain being in favour of single core.Watching both benchmarks, the dual core one "looked" to have less blurries, but I'd have to take a couple of screenies of both in exactly the same spot to be sure.Gary