Sign in to follow this  
peregrine

Configuring P2ATC to be realistic

Hello fellow sim pilots

I don't fly without P2ATC, but, I am not a pilot IRL.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what would be a good config for P2ATC that would most closely mimic real life procedures?

For instance, do I pick my own SID, or does ATC assign that rather than me filing one in my plan? Do I pick my own approach and file that to ATC?

I realise there may be few different opinions ion this and I'm not seeking perfection. Just a config that is good in the majority of cases to pretty much simulate what a pilot would do IRL. I fly for fun, not to become proficient as a RL pilot.

Any opinions on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

One thing that would help would be to know which type of Aircraft are you mainly flying (General Aviation or Airliners)?

On 5/11/2022 at 2:19 PM, skypilotYTS said:

One thing that would help would be to know which type of Aircraft are you mainly flying (General Aviation or Airliners)?

Hi

I mostly fly GA for the moment.

Thanks

Are you mostly flying IFR or VFR? In IFR, ATC would assign a SID to you. In VFR, it depends on the type of airport whether you would do that yourself or get one assigned. If you want to learn more, the FAA has published free documentation for the US airspace, see chapters 14-16 at https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak

Peter

When flying IFR in GA (in North America) you don't really fly SID's and Stars. 

If you look at the approach and departure plates you will see restrictions (turbo prop / fan only) or altitude restrictions which normal GA wouldn't be able to fly at. As well at busier airports you'd be holding up the fast airliners.

For GA I have that stuff all turned off and just have it randomize the approach and vectors. 

I file my flight plan (departure airport, way points arrival airport). Get ATIS, request my IFR Clearance and they will tell you which runway to depart and what heading and altitude to fly to intercept your course.

Then as you get close they will tell you which approach to expect so you can get setup and finally start vectoring you in.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, skypilotYTS said:

When flying IFR in GA (in North America) you don't really fly SID's and Stars. 

If you look at the approach and departure plates you will see restrictions (turbo prop / fan only) or altitude restrictions which normal GA wouldn't be able to fly at. As well at busier airports you'd be holding up the fast airliners.

For GA I have that stuff all turned off and just have it randomize the approach and vectors. 

I file my flight plan (departure airport, way points arrival airport). Get ATIS, request my IFR Clearance and they will tell you which runway to depart and what heading and altitude to fly to intercept your course.

Then as you get close they will tell you which approach to expect so you can get setup and finally start vectoring you in.

That's very helpful - thank you.

23 hours ago, qqwertzde said:

Are you mostly flying IFR or VFR? In IFR, ATC would assign a SID to you. In VFR, it depends on the type of airport whether you would do that yourself or get one assigned. If you want to learn more, the FAA has published free documentation for the US airspace, see chapters 14-16 at https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak

Peter

I fly IFR, and thanks for the response and the link. I'll have a lot at that. Cheers

@peregrine  since you're flying IFR then check this out https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/893-fs-atc-chatter/

Then use the adjustments in P2A to inject a voice clip, say, every 30 seconds is really cool.   In my opinion FS ATC Chatter is a HUGE immersion contributor.  There is a DISCORD channel for it.  Love the product.

Next thing.... knowing the right phrase just requires time here and browsing sections 5 and 6 in the manual.  Last night I was able to fix a routing mistake with "American 91 request direct kilo india lima mike alpha" when transitioning from the PHLBO4 to RNAV Z Rwy 29 at KEWR and it worked perfectly,  so cool.

Also, I have not heard back from Dave on a bug reported last week related to with P2A translating "X-ray".   In the log file it shows read back incorrect and says it's expecting "ex-ray"

Edited by sandiego
grammar