Sign in to follow this  
BartonW

Strange Issue - loss of "z" key

Have a strange issue that appears to be Pilot2ATC related where I lose ability to type "z". Note that upper case "Z" still works.

1. I create and open a simple text file using Windows notepad.
2. I start MSFS2020. As part of that process, it automatically loads PSUIPC 7.
3. Switching to notepad, I can enter "z" fine.
4. The I run Pilot2ATC and while it is still initializing, notepad is fine.
5. Once P2A is functioning, going to notepad, nothing happens when typing the letter "z" . However typing upper case "Z", it works.
6. Close P2A.
7. Notepad now accept "z".

NOTE:
1. I am using P2A beta 2q.
2. The lack of ability to enter "z" applies other places as well, not just notepad (for example inside the simulator).
3. My P2A configuration DOES NOT use the "z" key as a hot key. and in fact only hot key is "W".

Sounds like you have z defined as a Hot Key in P2A.

Just check the option to "Require P2A or SIM Focus" at the bottom of the Btns tab of Config and you should be able to type the z in notpad.

Dave

Dave,

I rechecked my P2A configure panel and the only thing that is defined is "W" for Voice Assist. Just to be sure, I also went ahead and clicked on all other options ``Clear" button just to be sure something behind the scene was not there but that didn't make any difference.

I also checked and confirmed that the "Require P2A or SIM Focus" is checked.

Now as it is, I am able to get around this because the upper case "Z" does work and so far the SIM does not seem to care about the case.

Also a side note. The Speak Assist hotkey of "W" works sometimes and others it does not. I am still trying to determine what the pattern to this and thus have not reported it. Don't think that it impacts the other problem but figured I would mention it.

Barton

I suppose it's possible that there is a key assigned in Config that's not showing up in the Config panel, although not likely.

You can check the AppConfig.xml file located at

c:\users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\P2A_200\Settings\AppConfig.xml

where <UserName> is your PC user name.  Portions of the path may be hidden by default, so be sure Windows Explorer has Show Hidden Items checked in the View tab.
You can search the file for a KeyCode value of 122, which is the small z key code.

Dave

I checked the AppConfig.xml file and found the following. I'm think issue is with "SpeechOutputKeyCode".

Note that I did recheck (again) the configuration in P2A and confirmed only Speech Assist is defined.:

<AppSetting>
    <Name>SpeechOutputKeyCodeText</Name>
    <Value>zZ</Value>
    <LastChanged>2022-01-07T08:56:55.129151-05:00</LastChanged>
  </AppSetting>
  <AppSetting>
    <Name>SpeechOutputKeyCode</Name>
    <Value>90</Value>
    <LastChanged>2022-01-07T08:56:55.1321512-05:00</LastChanged>
  </AppSetting>
  <AppSetting>
    <Name>SpeechOutputKeyMod</Name>
    <Value>0</Value>
    <LastChanged>2022-01-07T08:56:55.1331517-05:00</LastChanged>
  </AppSetting>

Knowing that programs don't like end users tampering with app configuration files, is there an issue here and if so, what change should be made?

Bart

You can delete the lines you copied to this post, then save the file and it should remove the setting.

You might want to make a backup copy of the file before editing, just in case something goes wrong, but it should work without a problem.

If something does go wrong, you can delete the file and the Config settings will go to default values and let you set them all again.

Dave

OK, what I did was make a backup and then changed the "SpeechOutputKeyCode" from 90 to zero and "SpeechOutputKeyCodeText" to blank and that seemed to work. Did a test flight and seemed to behave itself.

Thanks!