Sign in to follow this  
pom

Not drawing in external view (X-Plane)

I have noticed that both RXP GTN and GNS are not being rendered in external view. Is there a way to enable that? If not, is it possible that it, or option for it, could be added in the future? In X-Plane everything else in the cockpit keeps working properly when in external view, so the blank GPS stands out quite a bit.

Also a small request, the GNS units scale using nearest neighbour scaling, which makes them look really sharp if you upscale them. It also allowed me to add a subpixel effect to my aircraft. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD3tvY5xGJs However the GTN uses linear scaling, which doesn't look quite as nice. Is this something that could be added in an update?

Hi,

In the RXP User's Manual p4:

Auto-Hide Window | Removes the popup window from the screen while in external view

As for the pixels, your effect looks good. Please note we've this effect in stock as well but postponed releasing the option because it causes too much moire effect in practice especially when constantly moving the head in VR. It is also much more applicable in my opinion to the GNS series because of their very large pixels IRL, but less so with the GTN which native resolution is roughly 1/5 of a 1K monitor resolution already, meaning you'd probably start to see the real pixels (3 RGB bars) only when leaned close enough with the GTN screen filling 3/5 of the monitor view, times 2 because of Nyquist... 😉

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 6/9/2022 at 11:50 PM, RXP said:

Hi,

In the RXP User's Manual p4:

As for the pixels, your effect looks good. Please note we've this effect in stock as well but postponed releasing the option because it causes too much moire effect in practice especially when constantly moving the head in VR. It is also much more applicable in my opinion to the GNS series because of their very large pixels IRL, but less so with the GTN which native resolution is roughly 1/5 of a 1K monitor resolution already, meaning you'd probably start to see the real pixels (3 RGB bars) only when leaned close enough with the GTN screen filling 3/5 of the monitor view, times 2 because of Nyquist... 😉

I mean it stops rendering it in the 3D cockpit, not the popup, it's very obvious in small planes with big windows.

To deal with the moire effect and reduced brightness I calculate the actual resolution it takes up on user's screen and fade it in and out. Not something you can do in the plugin as it has to be plane specific I am afraid. (or at least I can't think of any way how) But I guess if any other aircraft devs are reading this they can take some inspiration.

Edit: Thinking about it it would actually be doable, aircraft devs would just need to add position of the GPS in 3D cockpit to the config file.

Edited by pom