Sign in to follow this  
Lange_666

Visibility problem in FSX. Need help. Pic attached

Guest darrenthe747400

Hello,I am having a most annoying problem with FSX. First of all, here is my rig:Pentium D840 3.2 Dual core (not over clocked)GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB Video Ram4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1066 MemoryX-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series Sound Card800 Watt BFG Power SupplyWindows Vista Ultimate 64 bit editionAll current driversSo if you look at the attached pic here I am at 42,000 feet over the Sierra Mountains in California. The areas there where the visibility is hitting the mountains is extremely harsh and unrealistic. The other problem is that the borders (where the visibility layer touches the mountains) are continually flickering. Is there a way to set the universal visibility limit to a much higher altitude so the vis layer isn't so lame looking while at the same time keep online weather updates active? Any help is much appreciated.Darren

Guest cbuchner1

I am having the same problem but much more pronounced on an Intel integrated graphics chip (945G). That ugly "layer of goo" is nearly opaque, having an alpha blend value close to 1. If I get above the layer I can hardle see the ground anymore. Certainly some driver bug, but I can't seem to get rid of the issue.

Guest Vilk

edit weather changing tops and ceilings

Guest darrenthe747400

How can you do this with online weather updates?

Guest Vilk

can'tunless you're ok with: download weather once, disconnect, adjust tops and ceilings, go fly

This topic is brought up from time to time. I think the last time, LAdamson or someone who is pilot, posted some real-world shots of cloud decks intersecting hills, and it looked pretty sharp and distinct as your pic is.I'm not saying your pic is "perfect"--sure the transition could be improved--but I have also seen real world pics and they are pretty stark.Furthermore, I have been in the Alps on the peak of a 10,000 foot mountain, looking down into the valley of Lauterbrunnen, and I saw with my own eyes, a very sharp change between a low cloud deck in the valley and the mountains above.The FS rendition is not perfect but closer than many people think. I do think it needs more "rounding" (don't know how else to say it) on the edges of haze layers or cloud decks.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest darrenthe747400

The problem isn't so much the distinct lines as it is the extreme amount of flickering that is going on around the borders of the vis layer and the mountains. It is really annoying. It's a display problem. :-(

Yup it is and for me, i didn't encounter it until after the SP1 patch. First i thought that these where the blurries people talked about.Posted the same question, got the same answer as you but i'm not 100% convinced.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR