Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

They Live! 2 (Classics in P3Dv5)

7 hours ago, SimeonWilbury said:

a large amount of the systems developed by external developers

Indeed it was. Once JF parted ways with their external dev, I'm pretty sure they (and we) were left with code that was just never going to get fixed. I noticed the same issues with the fuel management in their DC-8 (which were more of a matter of figuring out the secret procedure on your own than being hopelessly bugged). And when you have to download a Tamil font to get an FMC to work, that suggests that there may have been some things left not entirely finished.

Every airplane doesn't have to be perfect for me to represent a part of aviation history and enjoy. I'm having a blast with the VC10. In the end, the "new and improved" version that remains on the market is better except for the bugged electrical system. If you're content with CTL-E starts and hurtling to exotic destinations at near the speed of sound in a really nice-looking ride, the version on the market is fine (unless it won't load, which was yours, but not my, experience). Sadly, the option for the non-professional version seems to be abandonware. I would rather deal with lousy lighting (which I can at least mitigate) and less-than-state-of-the-art external graphics than the electrical bug.

I just did not want anyone buying the pro version on the belief that the startup problem was unique to me. Every other "The Live" airplane gets a pretty unqualified recommendation from me FWIW. I think the original version of their VC10 is tastier than their extra crispy recipe and wish their support didn't rely on gaslighting. I could be content with several responses, but to just deny they've ever heard of such a thing is weird.

In the They (Don't Yet) Live category, a JF in-house project I've been looking forward to would probably avoid these issues, That's their classic 747.

The reality is most devs appear to have shifted resources away from P3D and I'm not sure we'll see that now. Well, it's not like we don't have lots of good airplanes to keep us busy in P3D for as long as we want. One way or another, I'm happy to (echoing an old promotional slogan) have tried a little VC10-erness. My long-haul choices will usually still be Just Flight's DC-8, TriStar Professional, and VC10. And there are plenty of other more modern choices to tick other boxes with fewer compromises.

Edited by Tim_Capps