Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

Land detail textures...?

This may be a stupid question since I've been flying in FS a long time, but... what exactly does Land detail textures do...? I just made various screenshots with and without this option one but couldn't see any difference...!

>This may be a stupid question since I've been flying in FS a>long time, but... what exactly does Land detail textures>do...? I just made various screenshots with and without this>option one but couldn't see any difference...!Post some screenies.

Guest UlfB

Why, checking and and unchecking doesn't alter the scenery. No point in posting pictures then.Strange thing, this checkbox.Ulf B :-)

>Why, checking and and unchecking doesn't alter the scenery.>No point in posting pictures then.>>Strange thing, this checkbox.>>Ulf B :-)Maybe someone here will notice a difference.

>Maybe someone here will notice a difference.Not a change. I viewed the pictures with windows picure viewer, and switching between them didn't change a single pixel. Nothing at all. So I really wonder what this setting does.

Guest RonB49

Here's what I think I noticed. When on the ground or at low altitudes, in the area that I was flying (Alaska, SW of Juneau) the ground texture was the familiar sandy color. With the detail box unchecked it was all the same color. With the box checked there were dark blotches that gave the impression of bushes as you flew over them. I saw no frame rate hit so I left the box checked. R-

Guest allcott

Land detail also controls taxiway markings and the grass effect on airport greenery. If you slew and pause at 100 ft AGL it should be completely obvious what the checkbox does.It also has no discernible affect on fps that I can detect.Allcott

Guest cwright

Most games have this feature. When fairly close to the ground the game adds detail that is higher resolution than the actual textures. Compared to other games the effect is crude but it's still worth enabling, as it reduces the tendency for the textures to dissolve into a featureless blur when you're close to the ground.As this feature only kicks in when you're close to the ground this may be why the screenshots didn't show the difference.Best regards, Chris