Sign in to follow this  
drumelo

Request: flag to prevent automatic deletion of files

Hi,

Now in 31.14.0 for P3D, every time a new scan is done (be it automatic/manual), all files in the addon_airports and thirdparty_airports folders are cleaned.

In my config, the regeneration of these files takes almost 10min (ORBx is taking the most time, I have 2232 addon airports total).

Is there a way to start the application without triggering a new scan (avoiding the wipe)?

If not, would it be possible to add a flag in the parameters.xml file to make the automatic wipe optional (or to revert to the behaviour like it was until last version)?

Thank you for considering it,

Drumond

18 minutes ago, drumelo said:

Now in 31.14.0 for P3D, every time a new scan is done (be it automatic/manual), all files in the addon_airports and thirdparty_airports folders are cleaned.

In my config, the regeneration of these files takes almost 10min (ORBx is taking the most time, I have 2232 addon airports total).

Hi Drumond,

That's a misunderstanding, I'm afraid.

Regeneration of the files has always taken place, not just in 31.14.0. The only difference is that the folder is now cleared of files before regeneration starts. So, instead of overwriting the files are written.

EDIT: I'll consider adding a parameter not to rescan.

Nico

Edited by kiek

Hi Nico, thank you for the reply.

Yes, I was aware of that, but I was circumventing it by switching it to a manual scan with <parameter name="AFG_AUTOMATIC" value="false" />, and then pointing the line <parameter name="afolder0" value="D:\Plugins\DDM\Empty" /> to a dead folder. This way I had no new airports overwriting the old ones, and the scan time was close to zero.

Now, with the same config, I still get no scan, but I end up with a pair of empty addon_airports and thirdparty_airports folders. This kind of voids the solution above, so I'm now scratching my head here to find another way around 🙂.

My root issue is really the scan time being long in my system. If there was a way to deactivate it entirely - force PSXT to use the results of a previous scan - it would work ok.

Is it possible to do something like this using the server/client modes? Run once as server, generate the files, and then run as client, using the files produced?

Note I'm currently running P3D, PSXT and RealTraffic all in the same computer, not in a networked environment (but I have done that in the past, in the AIG/PPG/PSTX era, so I'm familiar with it too).

Thank you,

Drumond

43 minutes ago, drumelo said:

If there was a way to deactivate it entirely - force PSXT to use the results of a previous scan - it would work ok.

No worries. I'll make it possible to suppress the rescan of add-on airports at start-up.

Edited by kiek

Hello again Nico,

After a quick look in the manual (which I have should done before writing to you... 🙂 )  I realized I should have gone the server/client solution all along insead of circumventing the process... 

My fault, as I stopped using networked configurations since some time ago and I never looked to those sections in the manual again with much attention.

For anyone that runs into the same and would like to avoid scans: 1) run PSXT as server, 2) without closing the application, set PSXT to run as client and that's it, 3) if you want to do a scan, go back to 1.

Maybe there's no need to create a flag, perhaps just note in Section 5 with this guidance (run as server to set files, as client to read them) would suffice. I'll leave it up to you.

Thanks for your support, always quick and efficient!

Drumond

14 hours ago, drumelo said:

For anyone that runs into the same and would like to avoid scans: 1) run PSXT as server, 2) without closing the application, set PSXT to run as client and that's it, 3) if you want to do a scan, go back to 1.

Hello again Drumond,

Well, that's a bit tricky in my opinion, and maybe hard to understand.

In version 31.15.0 I offer you a neat solution! 😉

Nico

• Like 2

Just passed by to thank you for the implementation of the 2 flags in 31.15.0. They work it like a charm, thank you so much.

Drumond

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1