Sign in to follow this  

Aurora Borealis in FSX?

We had this in FS9, is it in FSX?If so, have not seen it yet.

>We had this in FS9, is it in FSX?>>If so, have not seen it yet.Doesn't it occur more commonly in the wintertime? That could be why we have not seen it in FSX. Last winter I did not fly up north.I saw it in FS2004, but only way, way up north.I wouldn't think they would have taken it out of FSX, but you never know.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I've seen the Northern Lights quite a few times in real life while driving home from night shifts in the summer here in N Scotland, but it looks better in winter.I did feel while flying in this area in FS9 that the effect was far too frequent though, as for FSX, I'll keep looking, maybe they have just modelled the occurrences more accurately? would like to hear from an FSX user who has seen it in the sim or could just confirm its there.

Guest cwright

In the real world an aurora would occur at any time as it is triggered by solar storms. However, you have to be relatively close to the north pole to see the aurora. This means that the sky will be bright most of the time in summer, making it more difficult to see. Therefore in practice your chances of seeing a good display would be higher in the winter when it would be dark most of the time.It's something I'd love to see but I don't suppose I will as I live in southern England.Best regards, Chris

>>It's something I'd love to see but I don't suppose I will as I>live in southern England.>>Best regards,> ChrisYou can see it in Southern England. I have seen it at 36 degrees North latitude...once. Heck you are at 50 degrees North, you ought to see it a lot more often than I do.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Wow great link Adrian thank youlooks like they are way up in north greenland right now.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Guest cwright

Rhett, yes, it is true the aurora has been visible from southern England on rare occasions. Unfortunately I only heard about it after the event or it was cloudy. Trouble is, you need several conditions to be true:1. To be outside in the dark and looking north.2. To have clear skies.3. To have a view not completely destroyed by light pollution.Pretty unlikely in England, let alone southern England!Best regards, Chris

It is a fantastic sight in real life, but ....Has anyone seen it in FSX :)