Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

SF260 autopilot: still confused... NAV doesn't work

Okay, I though I understood the AP of the RealAir SF260, but today I wanted to fly from VOR to VOR for the first time but it just doesn't work...http://i17.tinypic.com/541ouhy.jpgHere I am, flying towards (or trying to...) the GZR VOR. The freq 116.40 is in the NAV1 radio. I got the course set on the HSI (174) and I'm flying in HDG mode, in a nice angle to intercept the course towards the VOR. So HDG is active and NAV is armed. But NAV nevers becomes the active mode... What am I doing wrong? Also if I am NOT flying in HDG mode and just press NAV (so it is the active mode immediately) nothing happens. The AP doesn't even seem to work at that point because I can use my stick to go left or right!I am NOT in GPS mode (if I go into GPS mode the plane reacts immediately!). I on;y have the GPS opened to show the NAV doesn't intercept the course towards the VOR.BTW Having no GPS/NAV indicator is a problem, realistic or not. The fact that you CAN fly the plane using GPS should be reason enough to add some sort of indicator making clear in which mode you are. Isn't there really no way to see in which mode you are? But anyway, I do NOT have GPS mode on, so... what am I doing wrong...?

Hi There,The first thing I notice is that your HSI is not recieving the VOR signal (look at the red/white striped barber pole flags on the left of the HSI gauge and the small one on the right, which indicate "no signal"). This is not the SF260's fault! Not all VOR's in FS are completely reliable, and some require a certain distance or altitude to pick up their signal. A few VOR's do not work at all.There is no Gps/Nav switch because the standard real SF260 does not have one either, and nor does it have a GPS as standard, but we included GPS functionality as a user option and toggling is really quite easy, plus you know which mode you are in by the behaviour of the aircraft and the gauges.Try tuning to a VOR you know definitely has a strong signal and try again. Nice screenshot by the way.Kind Regards,Rob Young - RealAir Simulations

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Guest triangle

You probably know this, but hit the relevant NAV button above the radio stack and listen for the morse code that indicates the NAV is in range and the transmission is being received. Same goes for NDBs (use the ADF button). If it is silent, then you are out of range.Andrew

Thx for the quick reactions! :)The VOR's signal was indeed not being received. I didn't notice that barber pole at all....... ;) Nice too know it's there and what it's for! Apparently I just had bad luck with this VOR. As soon as I dialed in the next one (BUN), the signal was received (pole gone and morse code on, which is also quite handy indeed, although I guess the barber pole is a quicker and more secure way of knowing if the signal is being recieved or not). I switched back a few times to the bad VOR but never got a signal. So, it was a simple case of bad luck on my first VOR to VOR flight with the SF260. Anyway, I got it now! And I wasn't really doing anything wrong too... ;)About the nice screenshot: it's impossible to make an awfull screenshot of the SF260, Rob. You should know that. :( (But I did a pretty good job indeed on getting all the relevant info on screen... ;) )

Guest triangle

I find the morse really useful if on approach to a VOR or NDB but out of range - I just leave the NAV or ADF button clicked 'on' and get the audible cue when the VOR or NDB comes into range. Means you can 'set and forget' rather than constantly checking the HSI, VOR2 or ADF indicator to see if you have acquired the transmission yet.Andrew

Keep in mind there are 3 types of vor's with different receptions:Reception Range vs. Altitude of VORs Terminal (T) 25 range 1000