Sign in to follow this  
Guest N405WN

Please help fsx screen freezes during flight!!!!! (I'v ...

Muz;Now I'm gettin confused....per your OP;"First my spec'sAsus P5N32-E SLI (Latest bios n drivers)Q6600 Quad 2.4 @ 3.04g Ballistix Tracer PC-8000 LCD Ram 1:1XFX 8800GTS 640MB XXX edition3 x 320gb S-ATA drives1 x Asus ATA DVD/CDR1 x Audigy 2 ZX Platnuim24" Dell Flatscreen"Now, I read that as PC2-8000 which would be DDR2-1000.Per your reply you have DDR2-800 which would be PC2-6400. Which if you have the board bios set to either "Auto" or "By SPD" would most likely give you 400Mhz Memory bus speed giving you 800MTs.Now I'm sure that Asus says something like "Up to 8GB PC-8000 supported" or something similar.....however I just checked with CRUCIAL again and they only Guarantee PC-6400/DDR2-800 for your board....and then only for 1GB.2GB and up, they'll only Guarantee PC-5300..DDR2-667. I just got a new Abit board and Crucial says the same for it, so when I enter bios for the first time I'll have to set memory detect to manual and knock the memory bus down to 333Mhz. At the DDR that'llgive me the 667MTs that they'll guarantee.

Guest leadsinga

Your confused ... ha-ha ... mate all this stuff is way outta my league. I was sweet with DDR500 on my old P4 3.4 @ 4.2 but with the move to this new chipset everything is way outta my knowledge base.Here is the rame I have.Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 X 1GB) PC2-8000 1000MHz 240-pin DDR2 Memory w/ LED LightsPackage: Ballistix Tracer 240-pin DIMM (with LEDs) Feature: DDR2 PC2-8000 DIMM Type: UNBUFFERED Error Checking: NON-ECC Speed: DDR2-1000 Voltage: 2.2V Memory Timings: 5-5-5-15I of course have 4gigs of it.Where I set FSB etc on my board I have the ram locked at 800mhz at the moment.Are you saying I should drop that back to 667mhz?If so #### I'll give that a bash! ... I brought this ram as 2 x 1g dual packs ... so a total of 4 x 1g.One thing I havn't tried yet also is to move them around ... eg switch the banks so the first pair that are in bank 1 and 3 move to 2 and 4 ... just to see if that changes anything.So should I try and set it in bios perhaps and if so what settings do you suggest I set them ... happy to try anything now, feel I'm close!!!!I can then save the settings in the overclocking profile in my bios and when I boot if I want to run fsx I would select the save profile I have for it and visa versa as it is only fsx that has any issues todate.Many thanks for your indepth help mate.Muz

Muz;Yup! Drop your memory speed to like 83%... that ought to give you665MTs and an actual memory BUS speed of 333Mhz. I'd also set the timingto "Optimal" instead of setting your own since what we are looking foris STABILITY.I really doubt you'll notice any performance difference.

Guest leadsinga

Magic Denny,Guess I beta tell the wife I'll be coming to be when I come to bed ... ha-ha ... Will give your suggestions a test tonight and report back tomorrow.I think I just need to drop the FSB Memory setting to 667mhz instead of 800mhz to acheve what your saying ... timings are all set to auto at the moment ... basically everything is auto apart from FSB 1333 so 2.4g @ 3.0G for the Q6600 and 800mhz for ram (soon to be 667) volts have been set 1.25v CPU (stable) and 2.2 Ram which is its rating.Have done a fair bit of reading today on Asus forums and seems the board has the old bug with 4g and they suggest that the next bios up from the 1203 should fix it ... so here is hoping.Thanks again ... will def drop back tomorrow and let you know findings if wife don't kick me out for spending another night flying in the meantime :-)Muz

Guest N405WN

I've had this problem as well on Vista but running fine on XP. I read somewhere that the 8800 series cards are having trouble when 4GB of RAM is installed. Try running with 2GB RAM and see if the problem still occurs.

This XFX card a 'factory overclocked' one?XFX and FSX = bad choiceXFX is famous for instable cards <> flight simulatormy XFX 7950 ran all games perfectly, BUT FSXnow have a Asus Board, Asus Card, Brand memoryNice and - almost - stable (Alt-Enter black screens, of course, but can workaround)my 2 ctsmt

Intel 2500K | AMD 7970 | Win7x64 | 16GB | TV 40" | Touchscreen 22" | HOTAS | Rudder | MCP | FFB Joystick | FSX-SE | Prepar3D | DSC A10

Guest leadsinga

Hey guys,Sorry for delay in posting back results ...Yes my XFX is the factory overclocked one ... reason fo getting it is I had such a good run on the last 2 XFX cards I owned ... :-) but as per there always is one problem or another with things eh ... sigh.Ok I was off yesterday from work so played for a good 12 hours ... yes wife has my bags packed ... ha-haOk I have it pretty stable now ... seems more hours I put in the less crashes I am starting to have.I crash every time doing the franfurt/UK mission for some reason, always at different places, had the helicopter oilrig one crash once too ... other crashes on this misson were due to bad flying thou.Yesterday I was flying all day with no crashes in NZ (my home) with various planes ... I did a heap of flights too.I did download new drivers just released, and I have found the hi-rez in options I run the better my PC performs ... I am now max water, max weather, max planes (all airport traffic etc max), gfx sliders as well are almost all on max and I'm running 16x AA etc and frames 15-17 round airports and 20-30 flights.Weird ... no crashes with these settings!I notice if I run lower I see small white dots on plane dash! maxed I don't!Will run some more tests over next few days to confirm. But I did go at least 6 hours yesterday with these settings with no issues at all!Keep you all posted :-)