Sign in to follow this  

Hi there

First post here. Not sure if it has been like that for along time/forever, but I just recently noticed a difference in altitude displayed between the display next to the aircraft on the map and on the elevation profile. Discrepancy is marked in red. As far as I can determine, the one in the elevation profile is the INDICATED altitude and the one next to the aircraft is the ACTUAL altitude. One would have hoped that, if you have the QNH set correctly, these two would be pretty much identical. But in the example below and other instances, I have noticed quite substantial differences. I have experimented with adjusting the QNH away from the advised QNH to get the two in synch and the required adjustment is BIG. It is not just a few hPa or like 1/10" HG: it is a lot more.

So I am curious: where does the ACTUAL altitude come from and why is it so very different from the indicated altitude?

spacer.png

Thanks for a great product! I cannot use MSFS without it.

Alwyn

• Upvote 1

Hi Alwyn,

I cannot see the image (see https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/605519-how-to-post-a-screenshot-or-files/ ) but:
Elevation profile uses indicated altitude. Otherwise you might miss altitude constrains depending on transition level and baro settings.

Both indicated, actual and more altitudes come directly from MSFS and are shown by LNM unchanged. Nothing calculated there.
The indicated and actual should match if the baro setting is correct.

Where did you get the baro setting from? LNM progress tab, LNM airport weather report, ATIS or other? Maybe they do not match the sim values.

Will check.

Alex

Edited by albar965

Thanks for the quick reply Alex. Sorry about the image not showing: will try to fix.

I just quickly tried the same route again from Portland OR (KPDX)  to Seatac (KSEA). ATC gave me a QNH of 29.91, pressed B to set. Here you can see the barometer set correctly, altitude 6000ft

spacer.png

Screenshot of LNM. Here you can see the elevation profile correctly says 6008ft, the tag on the aircraft says 5379ft. QNH displays correctly as 29.91

spacer.png

I then manually adjusted the QNH in the aircraft to try and get the altitudes to match. This is what it looked like in the PFD:

spacer.png

And in LNM:

spacer.png

FWIW: I checked online real ATIS also and 29.91 was the QNH given for KPDX there as well.

Hope this is OK?

Thanks Alex!

Alwyn

Thanks Alex. Just to note that I did have a few mods active when this happened: Bijan's seasons, G36 mod plus a livery. I am tied up for most of the morning but will try again without any mods just in case.

Cheers

Alwyn

I think this is cold temperature altimetry errors at work, which are a real-world phenomena and are now modelled by both XPlane12 and MSFS.  You are at -10 deg C and 6,000 ft, which produces an indicated altitude error of ~580 ft (see the discussion and spreadsheet tool at https://skybrary.aero/articles/altimeter-temperature-error-correction ).  So at 6,000 ft indicated and -10C, your actual physical altitude is 5,420 ft MSL, which is pretty close to what LNM is depicting.  These errors are why there are cold weather altitude correction tables published for approaches into a number of airports in FAA-regulated airspace, and why there are ICAO PANS OPS procedures for applying cold weather corrections elsewhere.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

5 minutes ago, Bob Scott said:

I think this is cold temperature altimetry errors at work, which are a real-world phenomena and are now modelled by both XPlane12 and MSFS.  You are at -10 deg C and 6,000 ft, which produces an indicated altitude error of ~680 ft (see the discussion and spreadsheet tool at https://skybrary.aero/articles/altimeter-temperature-error-correction ).  So at 6,000 ft indicated and -10C, your actual physical altitude is 5,320 ft MSL, which is pretty close to what LNM is depicting.

I see. I was not aware that MSFS now also considers this now.

I have to check this in X-Plane as well tomorrow. I suppose this is already covered when reading the actual altitude and indicated altitude datarefs. The latter one should always be equal to the altimeter in the cockpit no matter what sim. Actual altitude should be of course independent of all effects.

Alex

Edit: Yep. Now I see the ISA deviation of -14°C.

Edited by albar965
ISA deviation

3 minutes ago, albar965 said:

I see. I was not aware that MSFS now also considers this now.

I have to check this in X-Plane as well tomorrow. I suppose this is already covered when reading the actual altitude and indicated altitude datarefs. The latter one should always be equal to the altimeter in the cockpit no matter what sim. Actual altitude should be of course independent of all effects.

Alex

Edit: Yep. Now I see the ISA deviation of -14°C.

And to be clear, the altimeter error is a function of actual outside air temp, not ISA deviation, TAT/RAT, etc.  I think the datarefs in XP12 are pretty close to the mark...not sure about the simconnect vars in MSFS.

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

7 minutes ago, albar965 said:

Right. Meh. Stupid me. Thanks. 🙂

Stupid?  Oh no, just a tiny bit less brilliant than usual!  😉

Oh wow, contrary to Alex, I REALLY am stupid: I was never aware of this! To try and make myself look less bad I will say that all my real world flying happened in rather temperate areas, so this kind of aberrant temperature was never a concern.

Thanks Bob and Alex for the responses and the enlightenment.

Alwyn

1) There are no stupid people, there are only less informed than others  ... 
2) Nobody knows everything 😛

Regards,
Piotr

ps. good solution of the problem finished this nice discussion   🙂

Never give up ...  - here are details of the whip-round: https://zrzutka.pl/en/pewr2d  -> to help my younger son fights against Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (blood cancer).

First: Nobody's stupid here (me being only forgetful)🙃. The modeling of the effect is new in X-Plane 12 and MSFS.

I added this to the FAQ: https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap-faq.html#altitude-correction and updated the user manual with a link as well (user manual not published yet).

I'll see how this can be considered in future LNM versions.

Thanks to all, especially Bob Scott!

Alex

• Like 2