Sign in to follow this  
simba_nl

What is causing the delay

I have a modern system with a steady 25Fps in high settings but flying a complex plane like the level-d 767 causes a delay in picture build up while switching from spot to VC etc.The plane or VC is for two seconds grey and then the colour is build up.What is the weak spot in my system or settings...Happy landings...E6750-P35-2Gb800-8800GTS/320-2x Sata2 in raid 0

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't know for a fact how FSX does what it does, but the problem you're describing basically has to do with memory. When FSX realizes it doesn't have enough memory available to keep all of the required textures loaded, it looks at what is not in use and discards it. Usually it's a texture you're not looking at, so when you switch views and that texture comes back into view, it takes a while for it to load up.There are different ways to work around this:1) Lower your texture quality settings (Graphics / Global Texture Resolution and Scenery / Texture Resolution). The smaller the texture files FSX has to load are, the more of them it can fit in available memory. This means less discarding and reloading textures.2) Check if you can switch some textures to lower quality ones. For example, if you make extensive use of 3D clouds you could save quite a bit of memory by using smaller resolution cloud textures. It's also possible the textures used by the 767 are 32-bit. Converting these into a compressed format would save a considerable amount of memory as well as make the textures smaller and hence quicker to reload when needed. You can use tools like DXTBMP to do the conversion (assuming it works with FSX's textures - I haven't tried).3) Defragment your harddrives or get faster ones. Fragmentation increases the time it takes for FSX to reload a texture, so you'll want to keep your FSX drive(s) defragmented. And obviously faster storage media means faster loading, although I imagine there's a point where costs become prohibitive (RamSan's Solid State Disks anyone?).4) And finally, if you had 4 GBs of RAM instead of 2 and a videocard with 640 MB instead of 320, FSX would not have to reload textures quite so often. It probably wouldn't make the problem go away entirely, though, so I'm not sure if the price of the upgrade is justified.

There is an article on fsinsider.com that addresses the issue.As far as I recall, you have to play around with the BufferPools and the TEXTURE_BANDWITH_MULT variable in fsx.cfg.Pat