Sign in to follow this  
JonP01

List with descriptions of FSX stock object GUIDs?

Hi,

I am trying to find a list of all the FSX stock library objects with their accompanying GUID and a description (preferably even a picture of the object). I realise there are utilities around that can read the files and produce XML outputs and reference any given BGL file and the objects within it, etc but I am trying to find a comprehensive database of all the objects in one place. Otherwise if I come across some random GUID in an XML file I have no idea of what it relates to. Trawling through random BGL files trying to find it is obviously like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I've done a fair bit of searching on the net and found a few references to such databases however they either no longer exist, the links are long dead or the file (if found to begin with) cannot be downloaded (there was supposedly one on Google but I was unable to download it).

If anyone knows where there is an online or downloadable resource (and the links to it and the resource still works) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

MCX can read model library bgls and provide the GUID and descriptions

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

Thanks. Yes I know - it was one of the utilities I was referring to in my original post. However it can only do this when you import a specific file/s so far as I am aware. And all you can then do with it is export it then create your own manual list of associated GUIDs - but still with no description associated with it - for that you have to "look" at every object manually. What I am after is some sort of database where I can enter any GUID and it will perform a search and bring up a description of the object and preferably a picture of the model itself. I believe such a database was actually created however I do not know what became of it - all links are dead or no longer working.

For anyone who still might want this information, it would appear that the downloadable listing sits "un-claimed" per se since no one appears to want to take on the hosting costs (presumably not helped by the sim now being 17 years old). Although there is a google drive link to it, it is simply far too large to successfully download.

I have found a partial workaround though, which solves one aspect of the problem (but not another). I am simply using a coordinate converter app on my Smartphone while I slew in the sim to the precise object I either wish to remove or change the scenery density threshold (although I can modify the cfg file to show coordinates as fully decimal they are too hard to read because the FSX font is far too small on my 21 inch monitor (though I guess I could temporarily massively reduce the resolution)!!. Since I already have a good idea of the associated BGL file, it is then a matter of exporting the ModelConverterX XML output to Excel and then performing a text to columns operation and sorting the objects by latitude and longitude order. It is then fairly simple to find the precise object by the coordinates rather than having to know the GUID. Of course if you then want to modify all objects using that same GUID, it then also becomes a simple operation in Excel and then importing the output back into ModelConverterX.

Slow and cumbersome, but as they say, it gets the job done!

But every time I keep dealing with old FSX's shortcomings I am more tempted to get a much faster GPU and take advantage of P3D!!