Sign in to follow this  
MarkDH

Mixing display sizes in multi-screen?

MSFS lets you display multiple cockpit views and move them to their own screens. You control the mapping of virtual FoV to screen by setting the Zoom, but this affects all screens at once. This is not the same as X-Plane 11 or P3D View Groups, which let you control the mapping independently for each screen. So you can't mix different-sized screens in MSFS, or the images will be different sizes.

Except that you can. As long as your screens are more or less the same height (physical height, not pixel count), the images will display at the same size on each screen. It doesn't matter if the aspect ratios are different, just that the screens are the same height. This is because MSFS always sizes the view in a window to show a fixed vertical field of view (the value of which depends on the Zoom factor). This is how P3D and FSX behave when WideViewAspect is set to True. What's more, this appears to work even if you have a screen rotated to portrait mode in Windows, which seems very clever.

I don't know why it took me eight months to realise this. I made a video about it, which you can find on my YT channel (click down below).

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Hi Mark,

How many additional windows / screens are you adding? I've got a triple monitor setup and run 3 x 55" TV's. My 4090 doesn't break a sweat running 3 x 4K displays, but my main thread takes a hammering when I add the 3rd. If I'm sitting at EGLL in the Fenix with everything on ultra (without AI), my main thread time is around 12ms. If I add another windows/screen it jumps to 15ms. But adding a third results in a jump up to around 30ms. Similar at every airport. 

It would be great if they developed more of the multi monitor support. Its no where near as powerful as it was in P3D, but at least we've got something we can use now.

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

10 hours ago, KL Oo said:

How many additional windows / screens are you adding?

I have three cockpit views: a central 3840 x 1024 (on a TH2GO), with two outlying 1080p screens in portrait mode. I am experimenting with running the outer screens in 720p to keep the tota lpixel count under 6Mp. I also have my GPS in a fourth window on its own screen.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro