Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

MSFS2020 Locks up all Community Directory Files - Solution

Hi everyone,

I recently had my entire Community Folder Locked up.  What I mean is that I am not able to move any files out of the community folder.  All I can do is delete the directory/file inside the MSFS Community folder.

Scenarios:

1) What if you want to move the addon/mod directory outside for example disabling the addon?  

Current methods of drag and move to different folder will not work.  One will get this error (see Screenshot)

2) Want to copy the directory/file inside MSFS Community folder to outside location to create a backup -- Same error (see Screenshot)

Current methods of copy to outside location will result in same error (See Screenshot)

spacer.png

Your Best Option to move the directory outside the MSFS Community folder if some odd reason MSFS decides to lock everything up is to use the app 

Total Commander  - grab the shareware app Total Commander (This app has been around is 1996 and is constantly being updated)

I just selected the directory inside the MSFS Community folder and viola it moved the files without any issue.

Regardless if you face lock issue with your Community directory (just Move them with Total Commander) and Symlink / Junction everything (I use LinkShell) --- just like Orbx Central app does.  

On Google - I do see few people get this situation and no one really knows (I even asked for help on MSFS Discord channel).

PS - Here is a key feature of my setup - My entire MSFS is installed on a different drive from C:\ during MS Store install.  It apparently still installs in C:\ but it is not really there.  It creates a windows drive type installation on my other drive (H:\ in my example) - but Windows still sees MSFS is still installed in C:\

Have a great day.

Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)