Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Part 3 - Cookie Time - Settings 3 - Graphics Galore

Hey guys,

I will post the screenshots in a bit.  Please read the post in entirety.

I am able to Fly the MaddogX with full 4K VC in all its glory (what an amazing plane - omg - Leonardo for the win)

on top of these sceneries installed

FlyTampa KLAS

Orbx Socal

Orbx Trees HD

Orbx Building HD

Orbx Global+openLC NA

FS Pilots 2020 NG Mesh

AIG Planes

FSUIPC 6 (needed for AI control)

AS P3D + ASCA enchanced with EnvTex+Envshade

TrueSky is disabled due to using EnvTex and VRAM saving

My Monitor is set to 30 hz (4K) and VSYNC is on along with Triple Buffer and fps set to unlimited in P3Dv5

Requirements

8GB Video Card (if you guys have more then you are set, I don't - so this post will exclusively focus on 8gb video card users), Windows Pro 10 2004 (this is requirement for better VRAM management, YMMV if you don't have this or have)

1) Disable HT and No Affinity Mask - I tried them all.  Let P3Dv5 do its thing.  (if you can't disable HT, leave the sim as - no need for Affinity Mask)

2) MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=300000 (Default is 1000)

3) Enable HIGH_RESOLUTION_TERRAIN_TEXTURES=1 in Settings

3) TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10  - this goes in [TERRAIN]

4) LOD_RADIUS=3.500000   

5) Set Textures to 1024 in P3D (This one is new as this allowed me to enjoy full Maddog X VC and Flytampa KLAS over Orbx Socal)

6) You have to pick your plane in Scenario mode to Maddog X.  Do not go into this scenery with another plane and then choose MaddogX once it is loaded up in FT KLAS+Orbx Socal area - VRAM will pushed beyond 8gb and then you get a Hang...  

Clean shaders

Now the weird Quirk 1 is

I installed all my addons with 4096 textures set, then cleaned shaders and set the texture setting to 1024 and restarted the sim.

I am able to have full 4K VC in Maddog and everything looks dandy.

Now if I did not have Fly Tampa KLAS (or just just Orbx Socal) then I could do everything with 4096 textures anyway.  Even FT KLAS with openLC Na works with 4096 textures.  It is just using Orbx Socal+FlyTampa KLAS is heavy load in VRAM

Fly Tampa KLAS is very complex and then top of Orbx SoCal - pushing lots of things.

Quirk 2: When installing FSDT (not FlyTampa here) sceneries make sure P3Dv5 is set to 4096 as live update will put 4096 textures.  Once that is done set the sim to 1024, clean shaders, then run the sim (this way you will get sharp FSDT runways on their airports etc).

But right now I am absolutely eating my cookies (lol), enjoying it with all those pretty city lights expanded by Texture_Size_Exp=10 and very little black textures due to Max_Texture_request_distance.

If I can fly in Maddog X in all its VC glory then PMDG 747 works like a charm (that doesn't have pbr inside - only Maddog X does) - Maddog X is a dream

Bonus Tip: I fixed the elevation issues with Orbx Socal+Flytampa KLAS (by disabling 3 files from Orbx KLAS) and Using Pilots AFM RC 3 which comes with FSGlobal 2020 NG - That fixed my KLAS

see old thread for reference 

Enjoy and have fun

nom nom nom

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

2 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

tl;dr use 1024 textures 

Yes

But look at the Quirks with FSDT sceneries.  if 1024 is set and live update is run it will install 1024 textures on runway.  If it read 4096 and then it installs nice runway textures.  After that change it to 1024 and enjoy Fly tampa over Orbx.  

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Tons of Snaps - all in 4K and above settings (for reference see Part 2 also) - only different is 1024 textures after everything in installed (truesky is disabled vs part 2) with 4096 on first, clean shaders and run sim in 1024 textures.  Look at MaddogX VC!!!!

FPS is solid 30fps (due to monitor 30hz etc) and VRAM is listed in all shots.  It is close but allows me to enjoy the full sim.

gROZX2X.jpg

I have the Need for my tons of autogen lights.  I love it when I see tons of lights everywhere.  Thank You Texture Size Exp tweak

3n9ePAV.jpg

popXMYo.jpg

INOAipw.jpg

v7svQZG.jpg

AKhVgS2.jpg

TOGTm96.jpg

ENbDnvP.jpg

IYXOXIn.jpg

UskaN34.jpg

T2KcoxG.jpg

CptynLu.jpg

Have fun

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 3

I think I found the root cause of my BSOD. It's the texture_exp that was causing it. I removed it and the lod_radius altogether and am back to normal. I am able to run at med to high settings now.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

29 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I think I found the root cause of my BSOD. It's the texture_exp that was causing it. I removed it and the lod_radius altogether and am back to normal. I am able to run at med to high settings now.

I am glad everything is working well for you.  LOD_Radius is part of the setting in GUI - it is the medium (3.5), low (2.5), high (4.5 - default setting anyway), goes up to 5.5 and 6.5.

Enjoy P3Dv5 😊

without the texture_exp I am able to max out my LOD radius slider. Not sure if theres a difference between maximum lod radius with no texture_exp vs the low LOD radius and high texture_exp settings. Either way, at least I can fly without BSOD now.

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just a quick note that Windows 10 2004 version mentioned by the OP is not available to the general public until its release date on May 26th.

If you need to access it earlier , you get this through the Windows Insider Program but make sure you select the correct version/build!

Cheers
Mark

Edited by aldridgem
  • Upvote 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

It is truly a strange sensation to finally not be able to tweak anymore.  Anymore brings gains to nil.  Finally v5 is the sim, with the least amount of tweaking.  All planes, all sceneries finally.  

Yeah, on the flipside you are now limited by vram which is untweakable. I'd rather fight fps than vram because you have a hard limit on vram, with fps you can always compromise.

Skywolf, where exactly is the setting that you call "Truesky"? Is it in P3Dv5's GUI? I can't find it anywhere in P3Dv5's Options.

Anybody?

Thanks.

36 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Skywolf, where exactly is the setting that you call "Truesky"? Is it in P3Dv5's GUI? I can't find it anywhere in P3Dv5's Options.

Anybody?

Thanks.

L5OgMG8.png

The enhanced atmospherics is TrueSky Clouds.  I had to disable that in order to get everything working - I mean everything on my sim due to 8gb VRAM.  With other planes I can get away with TrueSky but this addon and super addon heavy area - VRAM gets consumed heavily.  I also like Texture_Exp tweak as that gives me autogen lights into the distance.

• Like 1

Skywolf, I'd like to follow your setup series from the beginning, but I can't find part 1 of it. Could you post the link? 

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Skywolf, I'd like to follow your setup series from the beginning, but I can't find part 1 of it. Could you post the link? 

Thanks.

Skip the part 1 - Part 2 and Part 3 are the refined steps.

Part 3 is very refined as it allows me to have MaddogX in high addon area.  

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 12:47 AM, Skywolf said:

I am able to Fly the MaddogX with full 4K VC in all its glory

5) Set Textures to 1024 in P3D

Hi Cookies lover 🙂
Aren't these two sentences contradictory?
I mean if you set your textures size to 1024 how can you get a 4K VC?

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.