Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Reinstalling Windows 10 - Impact on Games etc?

Hello, so I have another thread going in the forums on a possible CPU upgrade.  Given that it looks like going from Intel to AMD will require a reinstall of windows 10 I’m trying to figure out if it’s possible to do the reinstall without impacting installed games, save games, mods, not to mention documents, pictures etc.  Googling hasn’t really returned a lot of useful information oddly enough.

I keep my C:\ drive pretty much exclusively for the O/S and not much else.  With that I mind, if I reinstall the O/S will it largely leave the other drives alone?  Most (but not all) of my games are through Steam.

Thanks for any help.  I want to do the upgrade but am dreading the thought of having to back everything up and reinstall.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I only tried reinstalling Windows due to an OS failure. I never changed CPUs or anything as critical. While MSFS worked flawlessly (just point to the MSFS folder I already had), I had to reinstall P3D v5.3 from scratch.

Remark: I didn't have to reinstall MSFS, but I did have to reinstall Steam. I don't remember if I had to reinstall FSUIPC or Fenix (the only non-Marketplace MSFS addons I had back then).

• Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.