Sign in to follow this  
airernie

Touch Portal Plugin for FSX

Max Paperno, who is the maintainer of the MSFS Touch Portal Plugin has created a version for FSX users.  It uses Simconnect version 10.0.61259.0, so I don't think it is compatible with FSX:SE, but you can try.

Currently it is only available at this link, but he will posting it to GitHub in the near future.  The paid version of Touch Portal which is required to run the plugin is currently $13.99 USD. 

There are multiple pages that can be used with it, but because many of them were written for MSFS, some may not work with FSX.  You can locate them by doing a search on Touch Portal pages and also at the original MSFS Plugin page on GitHub.  Just look for the sub heading 'Pages and Examples.

Ernie

Edited by airernie
  • Like 1

Ernest Pergrem

Thanks Ernie,appreciate it!

The plugin has also been published on GitHub now along with the MSFS version.  If anyone has questions, suggestions, or feedback, feel free to share.

Ernie was the one who motivated this FSX version by pointing out that the MSFS one doesn't work with FSX (anymore?), so thanks for that!

I thought SE uses a later (higher version) SimConnect.... if so in theory that should work (the FSX version even works with MSFS, just w/out some newer features like multiple Key Event parameters).  But if not, let me know and perhaps we could do some tests.

Cheers,
-Max

Edited by MaxPaperno
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Max..

I should have qualified my "don't think it's compatible" statement since I can't test FSX:SE until I install it on my second machine.

Either way, once again thanks..

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem

If you decide to give Touch Portal a try be aware that with the MSFS plugin installed some of the pages will work with FSX without modification or the FSX Plugin.

Therefore, since the pages were created using the MSFS plugin I would suggest installing it in addition to the FSX Plugin.

If the pages work 'as is', great.  If not, then you can create a new page or modify the existing page to use the FSX plugin. If you modify the original page please do not distribute it without permission of the original author.

Ernest Pergrem

Since the MSFS plugin can't connect to FSX, I'm not sure any of those MSFS pages will work. 
(Perhaps you're thinking of the test version I built for you which was actually the MSFS plugin but modified to use the older SimConnect... which is what eventually became the FSX-specific plugin.)

Unfortunately I haven't come up with a good way to have the same plugin (the actual binary executable) use a specific version of SimConnect per sim... short of writing some kind of "SimConnect proxy" service. The main issue being that the old SimConnect libraries are 32-bit which cannot be used by 64-bit programs, while the new SimConnect is 64-bit so we have the opposite problem.

On the other hand, if I publish two separate "MSFS" versions which only talk to MSFS or FSX, then they can't be used on the same TP install at the same time.  So the two versions seemed like the best compromise.

I'm thinking of writing a utility to convert "MSFS" pages to the "FSX" version and vice-versa. The TP pages are just text files in JSON format and can be edited externally (very carefully, of course).

Would that be useful?

Thanks,
-Max

HI Max,

Thanks .You are correct.  Got confused in all of my excitement.😀

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

10 hours ago, Max Paperno said:

I'm thinking of writing a utility to convert "MSFS" pages to the "FSX" version and vice-versa. The TP pages are just text files in JSON format and can be edited externally (very carefully, of course).

Would that be useful?

Thanks,
-Max

Max,

I'm not sure about others, but I relish the idea of learning how to create my own pages, but I'm guessing others wouldn't mind a few pages being readily available for FSX.

I might even make use of them myself. 😀

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem