Sign in to follow this  
Dewey

Bookean Search

I'd often like to search for particular categories of aircraft without pulling up repaints and textures. Is there a Boolean search function in the Avsim library, and if so, how do I access it?Thank you!Dewey

I'm not sure I understand your question.To search the library, click on "File library" at the top of any Avsim page. This will bring you to the basic search capability. You can also choose to search a particular library by choosing a library from the "In Category" pulldown, and choose something like "Flight Simulator X - Original Aircraft". Unfortunately, some authors put full aircraft and even new aircraft in the "Aircraft repaints, textures, and Modifications" library. So you are kind of stuck with having to search both if you don't find what you want in the "Original Aircraft" library. Unfortunately, I don't believe the librarians are able to change the category of a file once it has been uploaded. I don't know why.You will also note a button called "Extended Search" which gives a few more options, and somehow ends up giving you different results for the same search terms as used in the "Quick Search".Finally, you can view all the contents of a particular library by choosing the pull down next to "View Category" at the bottom and then choosing the "Change Category" button after you have chosen the library you want to search through. Interesting choice of names for the "Change Category" button, I would have thought it should be called "View Category", since that is what happens when you press it.When viewing a large number of files, I find it best to use the sort commands at the top and change it to sort by "Order by Date" and view in "Scan Mode" as opposed to "Normal Mode", then click "Change View".I believe all of the search forms respect some boolean commands, but I'm not sure which.Hope that helps.Thomas [a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Thank you for your response, Thomas. I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to lend me a hand.Unfortunately, I didn't state my question clearly enough. Let me try again.Let's say I want to search for jets without pulling up dozens of repaints to scan through. With Boolean search capability I could go to the keywords search window and type in, "jet and not repaint". That would pull up every file with the word "jet" in the file description, but would bypass that file if it also contained the word, "repaint". Some sites also save the user having to type correct Boolean syntax by having separate windows for words they wish to exclude from a search. I was unable to find a way to search the Avsim library that way so I just thought I'd ask if I had overlooked something.If the library currently doesn't have that capability, it would be a great thing to add. With the library being so huge, and with textures and repaints being so well supported by the user community, one often has to scan through huge quantities of textures and repaints in an effort to find the original aircraft to download.What do you think, Avsim? Is that something you might consider?Thanks again!Dewey