Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

Airplane Weekends!

Last weekend I was playing in SIU Aviation's 737-200 that we're restoring to at least taxi around KMDH in. Dry motoring was in May and more volunteer engine work next week. (Do I know anything about engines? Of course! I can reliably tell one end from the other!) Unfortunately, this 1968 beauty (donated to the program by United) will never fly again, but you couldn't tell by looking. If the other picture doesn't look like a 737, it's because that's from the beautifully restored American Flagship Detroit DC-3. Snuck in the evening before and spent a lot of time with the crew, then had a super ride the next afternoon. Just wow. Sitting in the last row but one it was quite a noisy and lively ride! It was down at Madisonville, KY at a very tiny airport hosting its first show. If you have never been in a DC-3, I can say they look much smaller on the inside than from the outside! Two of my favorite airplanes in as many weekends close to home.

Weird trivia: before Air Illinois collapsed after the 1983 crash of a Hawker Siddeley HS 748 it was operating BAC One-Elevens out of KMDH. Yup, classic Britjets right out of southern Illinois. Another simming favorite of mine.

z0CSgQ7b.jpgdhz4qXab.jpg

Edited by Tim_Capps