Sign in to follow this  
AndyEG

Lack of memory Problem - FSX SP 2

Dear Sirs, hello to the community,

'cause there are no faq - I describe my problem very briefly:

Using the FSX SP 2 with some Landscape-AddOns, Airports and - pretty new - the highliy detailed Aerosoft Airbus A 320 - I bought the DX 10 Controller by Steve.

Nice tool with shadows and so on - until the  FSX with the problem listed above. I read, that DX 10 Controller would solve this problem - but unfortunately it does'nt.

The same problem exists on the "ancient" fs 09 - but there is a tool named "4 GB-Patch" - it is working.

Thanks for - helpful - tips.

Andy

Edited by charliearon
edit out attempted swear!

You have posted this in my support forum but your issue is about the memory usage of aerosoft airbus and various sceneries and not about the fixer.

The goal of the fixer is to allow fsx users to run fsx in dx10 preview with improved shadows.

FSX is a 32 bit program as is thus limited to  around 2GB or 4GB memory depending on a setting in fsx.cfg HIGHMEMFIX. 

The fixer installation tests for the HIGHMEMFIX setting and will warn you if it isn’t set.  You can check using the diagnostics button  in the fixer controller which will check again.

If the setting is set then there is nothing further you can do to increase memory.

It has been suggested ( though not by me) that running fsx in dx10 preview ( with or without the fixer) saves a few 100K of memory and that therefore this can help if you are very close to the limit.

Using a 64 bit version of windows can free up more memory of the 4GB for use by fsx, with a 32 bit windows fsx gets more like 3GB.

From 2010 onwards developers were pushing the envelope of memory usage in addons.  Unfortunately there is no magic fix for this, you have to be careful in which addons you run together and be careful to keep LOD radius in fsx to a lowish value.

If you Google “fsx oom memory” without quotes you can find some helpful page on this subject - the Avsim FSX setup guide seems to have disappeared.

Edited by SteveFx
  • Like 1

Oh - a lot of thanks for this quick reply - just a few informations about my OS:

Win 11 Pro 64 bit, HIGHMEMFIX is set by your product - there is one warning I couldn't understand:

"HINT! TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD IS 1024 or less. When using payware aircraft (PMDG A 2 A etc.) this setting may be too low.."

The Aerosoft Airbus is one of those payware aircraft. What's about this?

Then three more warnings about shadows: "Self shadow of aircraft is set." "Aircraft force shadow is set" and "ground shadow is enabled in fsx."

Should I enable all settings?

About OOM Memory - I ask google for more... -

The two legacy shadow warnings mean that you have chosen to enable shadows for legacy aircraft built with the flight simulator 2000 sdk.  If you haven’t downloaded  any such old aircraft  models then you don’t need these settings and they may cause minor issues shadowing the aircraft that you do have.

Ground shadows is a buggy feature in fsx that people didn’t use and most developers didn’t  test against and that therefore may cause major graphical issues with add on sceneries eg black triangles on runways.

I would disable all 3 settings.

texture max load limits the maximum size of texture that get loaded into the GPU. For expensive pay ware aircraft that often means that you aren’t setting the best quality graphics as they typically ship with 2048x2048 textures or bigger.

I would increase it based on the recommendations for the aircraft provided you sort out why you have vas issues. 

Hm. In these Aerosoft Aircraft - issued first in 2015 - your tool generates nice "moving" shadows depending incidence of light within the cockpit. You may know, flightsimulation is my "insane" hobby since '98, as I had the nice experience to stay in the cockpit of an A 320 by flight from EGLL (visiting Night of the Proms in Hyde Park) to EDDL. There was a stormy and rainy approach, I remember that exactly.

But the fsx - sorry for swearing, cursing about.... . I "drive" the fs09 also... .

Now this is the third "machine" I built to simulate. Well - I will disable the ground shadows at first and see what happens. 2048x2048 textures I will even try.

Only this problem with lack of memory warning - in the meantime without CTD but grey surface textures with the buildings of EGLL (Heathrow X) appear - is existing still.

Truly yours to Greenwich or elsewhere.... . 🙂

Good Morning to all who want's to read this.... .

The annoying lack-of-memory prompt always appears (although enough memory is set with DX 10 Fixer) - at this time at a flight from EDDL to EIDW. Exactly one minute or so approaching RWY 28 the also annoying MS-Warning-Sound .. - *arrgh*. 😡

Perhaps an interesting detail: Mouseclicks at the display make the announcements disappear - the simulation is able to be completed.

But then the usual, also annoying MS-announcment pops, that Flight-Simulator is stopped and the problem is to be transmitted to MS.

I cancel this any time. Any brillant or less brillant ideas to solve this - annoying - problem? 🤔

You might do better posting on the aerosoft forums or the main avsim fsx forum rather than a backwater support forum.

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/105600-mega-airport-heathrow-fsx-has-run-out-of-graphics-memory/

if you want to fly with the combination of

1) complex detailed aircraft model

2) very detailed airport

then you need to make some compromises with the fsx sliders, dialling down ai traffic and ground traffic to a few percent and setting lod range to default perhaps.  When you find something that works then try moving them up a little at a time.

if you don’t want to make those compromises then you need to look at a 64 bit simulator such as msfs 2020 or P3D.

in choosing Heathrow X you have probably chosen the absolute worst case of the latter.  London is a large city surrounded by many airports and thus some care is needed.

Try reading  some of the reviews for Heathrow X on sim market, you are not alone in having this issue and there is no great solution 

https://secure.simmarket.com/aerosoft-mega-airport-london-heathrow-xtended-fsxp3dv2-(download).phtml

Edited by SteveFx

12 hours ago, SteveFx said:

if you want to fly with the combination of

1) complex detailed aircraft model

2) very detailed airport

then you need to make some compromises with the fsx sliders, dialling down ai traffic and ground traffic to a few percent and setting lod range to default perhaps.  When you find something that works then try moving them up a little at a time.

...hi Steve - I feared this exactly. Highly detailed aircraft cause the same problems (particularly the lack of memory) in fs09 - for example the cls-airbusses (A 330 etc. freeware by sim-market).

Funny detail on the brink: Using - also a product distributed by aerosoft - the HUEY X I enjoy to "explore" these airports and the surroundings, without any "memory-problems".

12 hours ago, SteveFx said:

in choosing Heathrow X you have probably chosen the absolute worst case of the latter.  London is a large city surrounded by many airports and thus some care is needed.

Try reading  some of the reviews for Heathrow X on sim market, you are not alone in having this issue and there is no great solution 

Heathrow X - also edited by Aerosoft - is - like some other airports of this company useable in fsx and fs09 - one of the "problem-childs". One of many problems - using this airport on fs09 - is, that airplanes of "my traffic" (you know this, i'll be sure) are standing beneath the surface on their parking-positions.

I deinstalled it on fs09 and chose an other product of a well known english/british simulation company - named Just Flight. They offer a nice support - very commendable.

A 320 Professional was my first liner..  - but I don't want to bore you with this. :wink:

Dublin X also is a very highly detailed airport. The aerosoft A-320 planes are also very highly detailed.

Also to you - many, many thanks for previous support.

...oh - sorry to moderation - please do not remov this post, I clicked the report button inadvertently....