Sign in to follow this  
Vauban

Unable to assign combination keys

Hello, I'm having a problem assigning a key combination, say Ctrl+a, to a script.

For example, I assign a single keyboard key, let's say the 'a' key, to run a script I'll call X. Then I assign a key combination, Ctrl+b, to run a script Y. Both of those assignments work fine, so I seem to be assigning them correctly.

Now I edit the second assignment so that instead of using Ctrl+b to run script Y, I use Ctrl+a instead. Here's the problem: for some reason Ctrl+a doesn't run script Y as you'd expect - it runs script X. It's as if the Ctrl key is ignored and only key 'a' (which runs script X) is processed. If I then unassign key 'a' from script X, the combination Ctrl+a runs script Y as it should. (I've blacklisted  all devices to avoid any unwanted input signals.)

The general case is that if the second key ('a' in the example) is assigned to its own script (X), then you can't use that key in a key combination to run a different script (Y).  The problem is not limited to the Ctrl key for the combination - any other key causes the same effect.

Geoff

Geoffrey Kent

Is that in one assignment as keyboard keys or is the Ctrl assigned as Combo Button?

LORBY-SI

In the Add Button Assignment window, I have script X as the Key Down Event. I use the Assigned button/key field to assign key 'a' to that event.

I then repeat the process for script Y, assigning key combination Ctrl+a, specifying Ctrl and 'a' using separate key presses. I'm new to AAO and haven't yet looked into 'Combo keys'.

Geoffrey Kent

Now it's working. I cleaned up the scripts and removed some 'wait's that were purely for aesthetics. Somehow it all came right. I hope I haven't wasted your time - and many thanks for your quick response.

Geoffrey Kent

57 minutes ago, Vauban said:

Now it's working. I cleaned up the scripts and removed some 'wait's that were purely for aesthetics. Somehow it all came right. I hope I haven't wasted your time - and many thanks for your quick response.

Weird. I will look into the keyboard logic anyway, as soon as there is time.

The Combo option is at the bottom of the same dialog(s). You can assign a separate key that has to be pressed or toggled in order for the main assignment to work. Kind of the same idea as the modifier keys on your keyboard (Ctrl, Shift, Alt), except that it works with every input (=you could have a pedal on the floor triggering the Combo part 😉 

LORBY-SI

Now I have it. I didn't have the button assignment set up correctly - I wasn't using the Assigned combo field, so it was just luck that I got it working at all. I misread section 3.7.7 in the manual and thought the Combo key was only to be used with axes, as it is in the example.

I wanted to set up a keyboard key 'a' to switch a light on, and Ctrl+a to switch it off. (I particularly didn't want a toggle.) Here's how I now do it, as described in a round about way in the example in the manual:

In the Change Button Assignment window for the script that runs when key 'a' is pressed:
- Enter 'a' in the Assigned button/key field.
- Enter Ctrl in the Assigned Combo field.
- Check the box 'suppress Key Down Event'.

For the Ctrl+a assignment, do exactly the same, but do NOT check 'suppress Key Down Event'.

That works for me - I hope it's the way AAO intended it to be done. 😥

Geoffrey Kent

3 hours ago, Vauban said:

Now I have it. I didn't have the button assignment set up correctly - I wasn't using the Assigned combo field, so it was just luck that I got it working at all. I misread section 3.7.7 in the manual and thought the Combo key was only to be used with axes, as it is in the example.

I wanted to set up a keyboard key 'a' to switch a light on, and Ctrl+a to switch it off. (I particularly didn't want a toggle.) Here's how I now do it, as described in a round about way in the example in the manual:

In the Change Button Assignment window for the script that runs when key 'a' is pressed:
- Enter 'a' in the Assigned button/key field.
- Enter Ctrl in the Assigned Combo field.
- Check the box 'suppress Key Down Event'.

For the Ctrl+a assignment, do exactly the same, but do NOT check 'suppress Key Down Event'.

That works for me - I hope it's the way AAO intended it to be done. 😥

The "Ctrl&A" and "A" direct assignments are supposed to work too, and I will check that as soon as possible.

LORBY-SI

Confirm you initial post as a bug in AAO. Will be corrected in version 3.61

If you want, send your proof of purchase to the support address (last page of the manual), then you can try the fixed version now.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Hello, I was offered V 3.61 as a download from DropBox which I don't use. Is there another way I can get to download it?

Thanks

Geoffrey Kent

2 hours ago, Vauban said:

Hello, I was offered V 3.61 as a download from DropBox which I don't use. Is there another way I can get to download it?

Thanks

Sorry, but no, temporary links to DropBox are the only way. You will have to wait for the release then.

LORBY-SI

Btw. you don't have to use/install/download/own DropBox to download the file(s). It may not be immediately apparent on the DropBox web page, but there is always an option to download the file directly, without signing up or anything like that.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI