Sign in to follow this  
phoenixphire

Baffling problem with blocks of textures

Ever since FS9 using UT I have had a problem with textures filling in giant blocks of water. Now with FSX I and UT and possibly FS Addon Vancouver + I am getting the same problem I unistalled both and reinstalled and they just reappear. Any suggestions. There is nothing like descend into Vancouver on the STAVE star after a long haul from Europe and and seeing all land and no water. I also believe I have posted this in the Flight1 forum and not gotten much response.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Ok, if any one is able to help I think I might have made some headway on the problem. It seems that this may be a problem with the interaction of textures from UT. UT changes the water "landclass" if that is what you call it to muddy or another texture. The problem is that I also have FEX interacting with the water textures. Any input into a solution would be appreciated.

Mike Keigley

Hi Mike,more importantly, both UT and Vancouver+ make custom entries to your terrain.cfg file, which resides in the main FSX directory. If, for some reason, those entries can't be written or get manually removed or altered, then water will indeed be land and other oddities will occur.Both products have fallbacks for corruption of terrain.cfg. UT will check its entries every time you run the configurator tool and Vancouver+ has a repair option in the installer that will do the same for its entries.You might want to open your terrain.cfg file in a text editor and check for entries whose Name= fields start with "UT_" as well as others starting with "HS_". If you can't find any of them something must have gone wrong with your terrain.cfg file. Run the UT configurator tool and a Vancouver+ repair.Cheers, HolgerP.S.: the water textures won't turn land into water or vice versa but the UT replacement textures will probably overwrite the FEX textures so you may want to run FEX again after running the UT config tool.

Thanks Holger, I will try your suggestions. I did intuitively install the FEX textures after UT which made no difference. I will try looking at the terrain.cfg and do a repair. I did try a repair and a reinstall. The reinstall worked and then on way back (CYVR-EGLL working fine, EGLL-CYVR, textures came back, no changes to any textures) I found that the blocks had reappeared.

Mike Keigley