Sign in to follow this  
GridNorth

Optimum settings

I am currently running X Plane 11 with Air Manager (displaying CESSNA 172 Instruments inc. G530 on a separate touch screen monitor), Knobster, Honeycomb Yoke and Throttles and Saitek Rudder Pedals. I have provisionally booked some flying lessons for next summer so I want this setup to be as realistic as possible to allow me to practice as much as possible between now and then.  Is there any reference material available for optimising this setup so that sim time can be counted as flying time. I'm reasonably close but I have noticed , for example, that the NAV button on the throttle does not respond as it should.  e.g. double clicking NAV does not enable GPS mode as it does when using the default mode with out any add-ons. I'm concerned that something else may be waiting to jump out and bite me. 🙂

Al

51 minutes ago, GridNorth said:

Is there any reference material available for optimising this setup so that sim time can be counted as flying time.

Yes, but you got no chance tbh. you'd still need a qualified instructor monitoring the flight even if you jumped through the hoops and expense needed to get the setup certified (not dissimilar to getting a real aircraft certified).

what you can do, - that will greatly reduce the time you need to get signed off on the different syllabus items is

practice preflight procedures 

practice patterns 

practice navigation (map and compass only, you wont be using a gps or autopilot during any training)

practice take off and landings.

I cant recommend a VR setup enough tbh. 2D just cannot convey how terrifying the ground coming towards you at speed is.

I assume this is plane, in which case you will need to learn everything in

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook

By heart.

Also grab the POH of the airplane you will be flying. That you will also need to know by heart, XP is great to get a feeling for the contents of that.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer