Sign in to follow this  
zorro747

Quest 3 experience

Hi guys! Well, it happened! I finally tried VR. I rented quest3 for the weekend. Well what can I say... It's a game changer fro me! Yes, a complete feeling of presence in the cabin. Before that, I flew with a trackIR and noticed that the VCs on airplanes didn’t quite look like they did in real life. For example, in 2D PMDG the visor looks too short. And in VR everything is like in real life. Well, these are minor things.
Installed Oculus software. Downloaded openXR toolkit. I ran the sim via cable link and was disappointed with the graphics. Resolution too low. I tried to change the resolution in the toolkit, but the computer cannot handle it. Although, it seems that my computer is not weak. I reduced the graphics, but did not achieve a nice picture outside the window... This is a big disappointment. Flew, FPS 40. In the cockpit ok, there is some blur, but tolerable. The textures outside the window are not clear... And this killed that initial delight...
Now the question is: how do people fly on weaker computers and get good graphics? Need third party programs? I've heard about virtual desktop. Next time I'll try to install it. In general, how can I achieve good results with my parameters (specification in the signature)? Or am I overestimating expectations and reality? But I saw videos where simmers had everything  smooth and nice...

According to quest3, a very big disadvantage is that the cable does not charge the battery. 1.5-2 hours and the helmet is discharged... Although, there are offers on the market for more convenient helmet holders with an additional battery.
I have a question about purchasing a helmet. According to many reviews, Quest3 is one of the best options in its segment. But I haven't tried anything else and can't understand all the advantages over other helmets...
Do other more expensive helmets affect performance? For example, Varjo, according to reviews, was a top helmet. But now I’m reading comments that quest3 is better than varjo...
In general, I need advice from experienced users.

And yet, some kind of Sim update arrived. Updated. But many settings have gone wrong. Often, when starting in VR, the realism settings are reset and you have to configure them again. And I can’t get rid of the blue highlighting of knobs, buttons, etc... Where can I find this parameter? I turned off hints everywhere...

Edited by zorro747

Intel i9-13900K, GIGABYTE GAMING Z790, GeForce RTX4080, 32GB

I suggest you start by looking up VR Flight Sim Guy on YouTube.  He uses a number of different headsets and gives settings for different graphics cards.  The Q3 seems to be good, but needs a powerful GPU to render at high resolution to overcome the loss of quality caused by video compression.  I have a Q3, but am waiting for a new system before I hook it up to a PC for flight sim.  I currently have a 3070 ti running an Odyssey+.