Sign in to follow this  
concordeba

Upgrading my PC (Rather than a new one)

All, 

My PC is roughly built in early 2018 with the upgrade of x2 NVME in the last two years (Bottlenecked by my CPU/Mobo).

My current specs:

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) | Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition | Intel i7 8700K 4.7GhZ  | Corsair H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler  | nVidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC GDDR5X | Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 RAM | 2x Samsung 980 Pro with HS 1TB  NVME M.2 | 2x Kingston  240GB HyperX 3K SSD | 8TB WD_BLACK  Ext SSD | Corsair RM Series 750X '80 + Gold' 750W Modular PSU | Windows 11 Version 22H2

I am wondering if it would be easy to transition to a new Mobo and CPU setup, presumably all my parts should work well?  What else in the above would I have to change. Just hoping I could reuse the case, and some of the non-redundant parts that I have.

I also recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11.  Changing Mobo should be okay for windows or would I have to re-purchase a new license key, or would the NVME be fine on a new mobo?   Looking at running MSFS (FSL whenever it's out) and using Adobe Premiere Pro for my YouTube channel.

Regards,
Robbie
Qualified Private Pilot - Check out my YouTube channel!  

The Grandad V2 - Prepar3D v4.5 HF2 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) | Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition | Intel i7 8700K 4.7GhZ  | Corsair H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler  | nVidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC GDDR5X | Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 RAM | 2x KIngston  240GB HyperX 3K SSD | 2TB WD  Ext SSD | Windows 10 Build 1903 Corsair RM Series 750X '80 + Gold' 750W Modular PSU | Windows 10 Build 19042

I always go to Scan Computers and get a Bundle package. I have that case you can fit anything in there, swap drives and GPU on to new mobo .

Never had a problem with windows.

Brian

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 4:04 PM, Byronb said:

I always go to Scan Computers and get a Bundle package. I have that case you can fit anything in there, swap drives and GPU on to new mobo .

Never had a problem with windows.

Brian

On 12/18/2023 at 4:48 PM, jes0811 said:

That CPU is still pretty good.  I wonder if you would see any noticeable MSFS performance improvement?  Maybe better to focus on GPU upgrade (I am running a 3090 on a Corsair HX 750).

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-12900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8700K/4118vs3937

Do you think it's not worth me upgrading then? I use Adobe Suite so, not sure how my processor is fairing after 5 years of use? But either way, I would like to extend my RIG 5 years (the case works fine, just needs a good dusting down).   If I was to get the newest and best CPU, would the water cooling Corsair H115i still work and is my PSU still valid if I went for the latest and best of the best? I ideally want to do 4K x2 monitors for Adobe Premiere Pro and MSFS/P3D V5/V6 or whatever sim suits me best end of 2024'.

Regards,
Robbie
Qualified Private Pilot - Check out my YouTube channel!  

The Grandad V2 - Prepar3D v4.5 HF2 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) | Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition | Intel i7 8700K 4.7GhZ  | Corsair H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler  | nVidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC GDDR5X | Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 RAM | 2x KIngston  240GB HyperX 3K SSD | 2TB WD  Ext SSD | Windows 10 Build 1903 Corsair RM Series 750X '80 + Gold' 750W Modular PSU | Windows 10 Build 19042