Sign in to follow this  
SimulatedMajor

Running AAO / Streamdeck on Second Computer

Hello Lorby_SI and AAO community:

Thank you for developing this powerful piece of software.  I have recently licensed and installed to facilitate several aspects of my home cockpit, trying to run everything from a second computer on my local network, but have run into a couple of issues.  First, here is my basic configuration;

Primary MSFS PC: running MSFS 2020
Second PC: running Axis and Ohs, Streandeck app with AAO plug in, physical Streamdeck Plus connected to USB

My most critical issue is that despite AAO succesfully connecting to the simulator (simconnect status ok and aircraft type detected) AND Web FIPS (FCU) working ok, the Streamdeck is not communicating with the simulator at all.

Also, when I try to use Desktop FIPs, specifically the Lorby PFD and Boeing PFD, things like the attitude, altitude and speed work ok but the Auotpilot status is not correctly indicated (with any aircraft including the FBW A32nx and Salty 747).

Could you please give me some guidance to have this work from my second PC.

Many thanks,
John (SimulatedMajor)

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, SimulatedMajor said:

Lorby PFD and Boeing PFD

Those two are only for default aircraft. They would have to be adapted to other planes, because in MSFS every plane makes uses different variables for whatever reason. 
As it says on the website, these gauges are just hobby projects. Feel free to replace the variables in the XML code with whatever your aircraft needs. I've started am FBW variant a while back, but I am unsure in what state that instrument is.

46 minutes ago, SimulatedMajor said:

Streamdeck is not communicating with the simulator at all.

The AAO StreamDeck Plugin is never communicating with the simulator. You want it to communicate with AAO. On the AAO website there is the WebAPI troubleshooting guide PDF - this document applies here.

Just out of curiosity, why the two PCs?

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Thanks so much for the quick reply - understand if the "hobby" instruments need customization for various aircraft, I will work on that.

and understand that the Streamdeck only communicates with the AAO, that's why I thought the second computer concept would work...I will try the API troubleshooter...

I use the second PC in order to offload anything and everything I can from the simulator, keeping the config as light as possible (esp as I have to run a number of plug ins and programs such as Touchportal and FS/LTL).  It also facilitates more screens with instruments that don't have to use pop outs which decrease performance.

Thanks again and I'll continue the thread if I can't solve the issue...

Hey again Lorby:

So no joy here, as I reinstalled everything to be sure it was initially configed properly, and I created a default Profile Page with only the Connection Status button from the Plugin.  Initially on startup, the connection button lights green, however as soon as I change the profile page, the green turns off and doesn't come back without a restart.  And none of the Autopilot controls work even when the light is green.

By the way, I have always had the windows firewall disabled on both the MSFS PC and the Second PC.  And I have tried this installed on the Primary MSFS PC and I have the same result.

I'm using the default 43380 port and have tried both localhost and my IP address in the WebAPI config dialog.

Posted (edited)

Apparently the StreamDeck plugin is unable to talk to AAO. Can't really tell you why that would be the case, something on that computer must be preventing the (very basic and simple) IP socket connection. And it is only about this PC, the simulator does not factor into this. 

- StreamDeck and AAO are both running on the same PC, right?
- AAO is properly connected to the simulator and you are sitting in the cockpit, the aircraft name is shown on the AAO main screen? You can assign buttons and axis?
- WebAPI ports are the same both in the StreamDeck Plugin and in AAO?
- AAO has been started with "Run as Administrator"?
- The two small green LEDs at the bottom right of the AAO main screen are lit?

Test it with the little Lorby gauges profile, so you can be sure that it is working both ways. When some buttons don't work that is usually down to a custom configuration of that particular aircraft. In essence, there is no such thing as "the autopilot buttons" - every aircraft can and will handle that differently - which is why people are making custom profiles for every single aircraft.

While offloading calculations to another PC might seem tempting, it is not a good idea with something like AAO. The remote connection will only induce latency. 

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI