Sign in to follow this  
geoffda

Checklist misbehavior

Posted (edited)

Hi, I'm creating some custom checklists for the PMDG 737-800, but some things aren't working. Here are my first three checklists:

[ ] Pilot, flight attendant briefings -- Complete
[ ] ACARS -- Initialized, Connected
[ ] Flight Deck Windows -- Closed, locked
[ ] Oxygen -- Checked, set one hundred percent //3
[ ] IRS selectors -- Nav
[ ] Pressurization -- Set, auto
[ ] Auto throttles -- Armed
[ ] Altimeters and flight instruments -- _ inches set //3
[ ] Speed brake lever -- Down detent
[ ] Parking brake -- Set, pressure normal
[ ] Engine start levers -- Cutoff
[ ] M R D, gear pins -- Checked, onboard

[ ] Seatbelt signs -- On
[ ] Fuel -- Planned gate _ onboard
[ ] Fuel pumps -- _ on, crossfeed closed
[ ] Hydraulic pumps -- Checked, on
[ ] Doors -- Closed

[ ] Generators -- On
[ ] Probe Heat -- On
[ ] Anti-ice -- _ 
[ ] Recall -- Checked
[ ] Autobrakes -- R T O
[ ] Flight controls -- Checked 

In the case of the Preflight checklist, the first item is incorrectly read as "flight briefings."

In the case of the Before Push checklist, once I reply to the "Fuel pumps" challenge with, say, "mains on, crossfeed closed," the FO then replies, "Now said Hydraulic pumps, doors, now said Before Push Checklist complete, now said." The FO never waits for a response to the last two challenges.

In the case of After Start checklist, when I respond to "Anti-ice" with "off," I get "check that item again, would you?" even though anti-ice is off. If I say on, I get the same response, so it seems the FO is getting incorrect information. Is there some way to just preven the FO from trying to verify this as a workaround?

Any idea why these behaviors are occuring? Thanks!

Edited by geoffda
added additional problems

12 hours ago, geoffda said:

Hi, I'm creating some custom checklists for the PMDG 737-800, but some things aren't working. Here are my first three checklists:

[ ] Pilot, flight attendant briefings -- Complete
[ ] ACARS -- Initialized, Connected
[ ] Flight Deck Windows -- Closed, locked
[ ] Oxygen -- Checked, set one hundred percent //3
[ ] IRS selectors -- Nav
[ ] Pressurization -- Set, auto
[ ] Auto throttles -- Armed
[ ] Altimeters and flight instruments -- _ inches set //3
[ ] Speed brake lever -- Down detent
[ ] Parking brake -- Set, pressure normal
[ ] Engine start levers -- Cutoff
[ ] M R D, gear pins -- Checked, onboard

[ ] Seatbelt signs -- On
[ ] Fuel -- Planned gate _ onboard
[ ] Fuel pumps -- _ on, crossfeed closed
[ ] Hydraulic pumps -- Checked, on
[ ] Doors -- Closed

[ ] Generators -- On
[ ] Probe Heat -- On
[ ] Anti-ice -- _ 
[ ] Recall -- Checked
[ ] Autobrakes -- R T O
[ ] Flight controls -- Checked 

In the case of the Preflight checklist, the first item is incorrectly read as "flight briefings."

In the case of the Before Push checklist, once I reply to the "Fuel pumps" challenge with, say, "mains on, crossfeed closed," the FO then replies, "Now said Hydraulic pumps, doors, now said Before Push Checklist complete, now said." The FO never waits for a response to the last two challenges.

In the case of After Start checklist, when I respond to "Anti-ice" with "off," I get "check that item again, would you?" even though anti-ice is off. If I say on, I get the same response, so it seems the FO is getting incorrect information. Is there some way to just preven the FO from trying to verify this as a workaround?

Any idea why these behaviors are occuring? Thanks!

When using default human recorded voices, you may come across some verbiage that wasn't recorded and you need to use alternatives like "flight deck cabin crew briefing", The other option is to get a high quality TTS voice, assign it to your FO voice and you could write pretty much anything and will always be read.

Checks on multiple items on same line aren't recommended as the Fo needs to determine from the left side of the line which exact item needs to be checked. Either pumps or crossfeed valve. Try  'mains on cross-feed closed' without the '_' character and he will likely check pumps only.

For "Anti-ice" since FO checks that item, instead of using '_', write "as required", you could then reply "as required", "as desired" and FO will assume you want switches left as they are. Or reply ON (or equivalent words) and he will ensure they're ON, or reply OFF (or equivalent words) and he'll make sure they are off.

As for "now said" it's actually "now set".

That happens when you have checklist option "strict" enabled.

In that case, instead of constantly challenging you on same items, he'll challenge once, then try to set the switch as per checklist (and say "now set".

It could also be an indication your microphone isn't calibrated properly, causing FO to hear "replies".

Will run a test on those items and see what happens as soon as possible.

• Like 1