Sign in to follow this  
robcap

V3 of the 1926 Airmail Routes in the USA available

Bare bones navigation from the dawn of commercial aviation…
Flying really low and slow in all weathers, day and night, no autopilot required…
Following in the slipstream of Leon D. Cuddeback & Elrey B. Jeppesen…
If this sounds like your kind of flying, then we might have something for you.

Get it here:

https://flightsim.to/file/32132/1926-airway-route-cam5

“Arrows Across America” recreates the visual navigation system developed to support the growth of the US Air Mail system between 1926 and 1934.

This involved building 51’ long concrete arrows, painted yellow with flashing beacons on masts, every ten miles along 34 Contract Air Mail (CAM) routes.

About Version 3.0:

The latest version of Arrows Across America includes:

Five Contract Air Mail routes totalling 3,800 miles  
CAM4 from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City
CAM5 from Salt Lake City to Pasco
CAM8 from San Diego to Seattle
The western section of CAM18 from San Francisco to Salt Lake City
CAM26 from Great Falls to Salt Lake City
CAM32 from Portland to Spokane (including a 25 mile stretch through the Colombia River Gorge)
The ILF at Blanche Field, Reno has a big new bespoke hangar designed by JB Strauss, who also designed the Golden Gate Bridge (do take a look inside, it's a brilliant steel construction, with a cantilever door)
With the growth of the addon four routes now converge on Salt Lake City at Woodward Field. We have modelled it as a hub airfield where you will find five bespoke hangars, the Airmail House and a radio station. It is located near the original location of the field, next to SLC International Airport.
Forty-seven landing fields, located, laid out and lit according to their descriptions in the official Airway Bulletins
Custom models and lighting, including animated hangars  
Extensive terraforming and tree felling to ensure that arrows and beacons are visible in the modern landscape
A 57 page manual with information about the air mail system, pilots & aircraft and links to the 1936 sectionals for each route.
.KMZ files for each of the routes
.csv files for use with Little Nav map and other flight planning software.spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

http://dc2-fs.com

sigimavsim.JPG

Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.

No DC3 without the DC2

Awesome thanks, I first heard about this on QI (English TV show), I'll check it out 

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Looks great!  I was thinking about flying something like this recently.  I am enjoying the period aircraft recently.  I have the Ford Trimotor but have also just bought the DH Foxmoth. 

I also have the Fokker F.VII, single and three engine versions (shown in the bottom picture?).  This could be good fun!  

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

This is absolutely amazing. If this is the same project it was born out of a suggestion I made on the official forums about creating historical eras (I was specifically talking about the Caribbean). Someone suggested this and off it went. Absolutely amazing. 

That's where this idea took  off indeed. Thanks, we enjoy working on it.

• Like 1

sigimavsim.JPG

No DC3 without the DC2

29 minutes ago, robcap said:

That's where this idea took  off indeed. Thanks, we enjoy working on it.

I'm absolutely astounded at what you've accomplished with this! A wonderful idea and an awesome result. Couldn't be more pleased for you!

View from the inside and outside of the hangar at Blanch Field, Reno. Designed by Strauss, who also designed the Golden Gate bridge.

From existing construction drawings, we could recreate the steelstructure and roof structure. Pictures helped us to recreate the corrugated (asbestos😱) exterior.

The huge cantilever door is 100 feet long and 21 feet high, and is hung on pivots at the top of the hangar door opening, and swings outward during opening. It is couterbalanced by a concrete counterweight, weighing 37,500 pounds. The door can open in 20 seconds.

More info on this hangar here:

https://www.dreamsmithphotos.com/arrow/States/nv/18_19_sf_sl_reno.html

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by robcap
  • Like 3

sigimavsim.JPG

No DC3 without the DC2

Posted (edited)

And in other news:

We reached the East Coast!

Soon you will be able to fly the Airmail from the Atlantic to the Pacific, via CAM17 and CAM18!spacer.png

Each triangle is an Arrow/Beacon, with a lot of custom ILF's. We are also adding custom hangars, based on old pictures found on the netspacer.png.

spacer.png

Edited by robcap
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

sigimavsim.JPG

No DC3 without the DC2