Sign in to follow this  
Lord Farringdon

Why do default jetways keep reappearring in a modified ...

Hi Guys,Using FSX Planner and ADE (along with BGLComp.exe for FSX and BGLAnalyseX) I have been messing around with NZWN to see if I can make the parking and jetway/gate assignments at the airport a little more accurate. Note: I didn't use an FS9 AFCAD but started from the FSX stock airfeild.Using these tools I have modified paths, taxiways, taxipoints, aprons, added some scenery items (fuel tanks, boundry fences etc) but of course the majority of the work has involved re-aligning/adding/deleting parking/gate spots and associated jetways. With every significant change I saved the xml, closed FSX, compiled the xml to a bgl, loaded it in the addon/scenery directory (removing any previous version) and restarted FSX to check for the expected changes. Everything was going as expected until almost at the end when I was dealing with another part of the airfield. I noticed all the jetways I had modified or added had dissappeared and the default jetways and positions had returned! I decompiled the BGL and checked it on both FSX Planner and ADE. No problems. It looked just as I had modified it. I used XML editor to check the code and the modified jetways code was present. So it seems FSX Planner and ADE are reading the modified jetway code OK and when the BGL is decomplied it is as expected, but FSX doesn't seem to want have a bar of it and simply ignores the modified jetway code and replaces it with default jetways? Any assitance from minds greater than mine (and that would be most of you) would be most appreciated:) XML attached. RegardsTerry http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180555.html

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

TerryI have observed this exact behavior when modding airports.In each case, I had to exit FSX and restart, and then the stocker jetways disappeared.The jetways do seem to be handled differently in memory than other scenery objects.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks for the quick response Rhett. I have tried completely cold starting the computer and starting FSX at another airfield before returning to NZWN only to find the stocker jetways still proudly displaying their innaccuracies and my modified jetways no where to be seen:| I too would have thought a complete memory washout might have made a difference.I have experienced a similar problem with some industrial software where customised code looked perfect but refused to run until the code was rewritten exactly the same. Its like some invisible code was entering somehow? I wonder if that could be happening here? I hope not. I'd much rather be told that I just screwed it up and it can be fixed without starting it from scratch!. Anyway, thanks again for the help Rhett:) I might play with the code some more and see if any changes make a difference. Regards Terry

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

Eureka. I found the problem. I conducted a line by line comparison with an earlier XML file which was playing nicely and discovered that my latest xml was missing the " deleteAllJetways="TRUE" " command. Accordingly, all default jetways jumped at the chance to mess with my new masterpiece :) Now I know what you are all thinking.."we assumed you had checked the obvious"..but being a bear of little brain it seemed far from obvious to me at the time. Not a day goes by without me learning something though:) CheersTerry

>Eureka. I found the problem. I conducted a line by line>comparison with an earlier XML file which was playing nicely>and discovered that my latest xml was missing the " >deleteAllJetways="TRUE" " command. That's where I was goin' next... :)I have seen some weird things with FSX jetways. Like them corkscrewing in convuluted patterns and so forth. You can even get them to streeeeeetchhh way across an airport like some demented caterpillar, if you set up your parking just right for that.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>You can even get them to streeeeeetchhh way across an airport like some demented caterpillar, if you set up your parking just right for that.LOL. I haven't seen that yet but given my propensity to turn a perfectly good AFCAD into the code nightmares are made from, it's oooonly a matter of time....:)Terry