Sign in to follow this  
arrex

Question about airspaces on Ver. 3.0.1

Hi,

quick questions:

1. in version 2.8.12 I could set the color/line-style of the airspaces by editing the file little_navmap_mapstyle.ini. Is this option gone completely or is it replaced by some other function, which i couldn't find?

2. I noticed that in the info of the airspace now there is this informative line stating, for example of a class C "Controlled, IFR and VFR, ATC clearance required, transponder required.". Not sure if this present also before. Is there a way to edit this text, or it is hardcoded?

Thanks

Greetings, Antonio

Edited by arrex

Greetings,

Antonio "Arrex" Arreghini

Ad1) It's still available, only format was slightly  changed (pen style was added) -> see LNM manual for version 3.0.1,  paragraph 75.3 "Map Display".
Ad2) But why? IMHO it's a nice feature which gives the information about airspace restrictions, especially good for newbie pilots 🙂   

Regards,
Piotr

Edited by ppgas

Never give up ...  - here are details of the whip-round: https://zrzutka.pl/en/pewr2d  -> to help my younger son fights against Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (blood cancer).

Thanks for answering. Didn't realize there was already a manual for ver. 3, but ok, that's aging 😉 More specifically:

1. I read 75.3, but in the file little_navmap_nightstyle.ini i don't find anything related to the color of different airspaces.... or it's again my alzheimer in action 😉 ?

2. I actually like them. I don't want to disable. I would like to be able to edit this text to add even more information useful for myself....

Greetings,

Ad 1.) if you've looked only at online manual you don't find this, as online manual is available only for _stable_ version -  2.8.12 in this case.
3.0.1 is still beta so you have to look at PDF offline version, it's available under Help menu in LNM.

Ad 2.)  Only Alex know this, but I suppose it's hard coded. 
But sources are available on GIT service, so if you only know how to recompile LNM, you can add something to the source files and recompile them 🙂

Regards,
Piotr

Edited by ppgas

Never give up ...  - here are details of the whip-round: https://zrzutka.pl/en/pewr2d  -> to help my younger son fights against Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (blood cancer).

11 minutes ago, ppgas said:

3.0.1 is still beta so you have to look at PDF offline version, it's available under Help menu in LNM.

I see... the file little_navmap_mapstyle.ini is not present in my folder. There is the backed-up version of 2.8.12 there only....

12 minutes ago, ppgas said:

if you only know how to recompile LNM

I am afraid it takes a more complete compiler than the mingw I have installed here....

Greetings,

1) config files should be in C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Roaming/ABarthel/" on Windows or ~/.config/ABarthel/ on Linux. I don't know how about Mac.

2) Here is my modification for B,C,D,E airspaces that makes LNM map similar to FAA VFR sectional charts:

#
# little_navmap_mapstyle.ini
#

ClassBFillColor=#10ce08bf
ClassBPen=#185281, 4, Solid
ClassCFillColor=#178594ec
ClassCPen=#8e2156, 4, Solid
ClassDFillColor=#105261ce
ClassDPen=#185281, 2, Dash
ClassEFillColor=#200aa3c9
ClassEPen=#8e2156, 2, Dash

Maybe it helps you 🙂

Regards,
Piotr

Edited by ppgas

9 minutes ago, ppgas said:

1) config files should be in C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Roaming/ABarthel/" on Windows or ~/.config/ABarthel/ on Linux. I don't know how about Mac.

I know, I modified them in ver 2.8.12, but now the file is not present. There is only this file here: little_navmap_mapstyle.ini_update-backup.1
Which contains my modifications for the previous version....

Greetings,

9 minutes ago, arrex said:

I know, I modified them in ver 2.8.12, but now the file is not present. There is only this file here: little_navmap_mapstyle.ini_update-backup.1

Aaa, now I remember. On my computer it was also not present after installation.
I've manually copied this file to the config directory  from GITHUB, exactly from here: https://github.com/albar965/littlenavmap/blob/release/3.0/resources/config/little_navmap_mapstyle.ini

Regards,
Piotr

• Upvote 1

Good call. Indeed now it works.... why isn't it present in the default installation is still not clear, but ok....

Greetings,

3 hours ago, arrex said:

Good call. Indeed now it works.... why isn't it present in the default installation is still not clear, but ok....

Mentioned in the CHANGELOG.txt (linked in the help menu):

* Map colors and styles are now loaded from a resource embedded in the program. You can still add a
  file `little_navmap_mapstyle.ini` to the settings folder to override the default styles. Your
  current `little_navmap_mapstyle.ini` is automatically backed up on first start after updating
  Little Navmap.

14 hours ago, ppgas said:

Only Alex know this, but I suppose it's hard coded. 
But sources are available on GIT service, so if you only know how to recompile LNM

Hard coded not really (rather included as a resource) but still override-able.

15 hours ago, arrex said:

2. I noticed that in the info of the airspace now there is this informative line stating, for example of a class C "Controlled, IFR and VFR, ATC clearance required, transponder required.". Not sure if this present also before. Is there a way to edit this text, or it is hardcoded?

Also in CHANGELOG.txt 😉:

* Added airspace labels. This is not perfect yet, labels may still overlap. Disable the labels or
  limit airspace display to improve map display performance if you see jerky map movement.
* Airspace label options added to options dialog on page `Map Labels` in branch `Airspaces`.

Alex

Ok, thanks Alex. Now I feel like the word not allowed that didn't read the changelog 😄 ... actually i read it but i missed the point apparently, so again, alzheimer... 😄

1 hour ago, albar965 said:

Hard coded not really (rather included as a resource) but still override-able.

mh, interesting. Does it need to recompile or it's something doable a-posteriori?

Also in CHANGELOG.txt 😉:

* Added airspace labels. This is not perfect yet, labels may still overlap. Disable the labels or
  limit airspace display to improve map display performance if you see jerky map movement.
* Airspace label options added to options dialog on page `Map Labels` in branch `Airspaces`.

This i didn't follow.....

Greetings,

1 hour ago, arrex said:

Ok, thanks Alex. Now I feel like the word not allowed that didn't read the changelog 😄 ... actually i read it but i missed the point apparently, so again, alzheimer...

No problem. Sometimes the changelog gets a bit too big and too detailed.🙃

1 hour ago, arrex said:

This i didn't follow.....

You can change the airspace labels here:

grafik.png

You can gain some performance if you disable all labels for airspaces.

1 hour ago, arrex said:

mh, interesting. Does it need to recompile or it's something doable a-posteriori?

Absolutely no need to recompile. Simply download the raw file here: https://github.com/albar965/littlenavmap/blob/release/3.0/resources/config/little_navmap_mapstyle.ini

Edit as you like and put it into the ABarthel settings folder.

Alex

I think there is a misunderstanding. I have no problem with performance, airspace labels, and found the options you are showing on airspace label. Also I downloaded a little_navmap_mapstyle.ini and i did the changes i wanted. I was referring to the text of airspace, appearing in the information tab. For example, for class D it shows "Controlled, IFR and VFR, ATC clearance required.". Was wandering if it is possible to customize this text...

Greetings,

19 minutes ago, arrex said:

. For example, for class D it shows "Controlled, IFR and VFR, ATC clearance required.". Was wandering if it is possible to customize this text...

I see. The information window. Sorry, no this is really baked into the program.
Why change it? Do you have any improvements or are there errors?

Alex

I see. The information window. Sorry, no this is really baked into the program.
Why change it? Do you have any improvements or are there errors?

I may be wrong, but from the previous posts I’ve understood that Arrex likes this text. He just wants to add something of his own to personalize his LNM.

I know that this English text is hidden in the source file maptypes.cpp (I found it today), so this way is difficult to implement for a user, but maybe it’s possible to use the translation mechanism from QT and create a fake language customEnglish with a 1:1 pseudotranslation? 
In this way, users could prepare their own .ts files for replacement, which is definitely much easier than compiling the C++ source code.

However, I have no idea whether this additional “gadget” is worth all this extra work 😛

Regards,
Piotr

Edited by ppgas