Sign in to follow this  
Guest bigean

braking / deceleration in default 737

Guest paulwaldron

Hi,I'm wondering how accurate the deceleration is in the default 737? As well as other planes.I ask because I seem to be able to stop much more quickly than I think I should be able to. I read, and participated in, an earlier discussion on this topic, which focused mostly on the perception of speed due to zoom and lack of peripheral vision. - I certainly acknowledge that this has a large effect on my perception.I remain unconvinced that perception is the only issue. I seem to be able to exit runways more quickly than my experience (as a passenger) would indicate was normal... This happens on relatively short runways, like klga and kmdw routinely. In my experience, landing at those airports, the runway exit seems to happen at the end of the rwy, or the last taxiway to the end. I use no autobrakes, just rev. thrust, spoilers, and minimal braking. Anyone have any thoughts on this?Thanks in advance.

Guest JIMJAM

Its a GAME.I have videos of guys landing 747s on carriers.I have landed the Level D 777 at Bald Mountain in Alaska. Just over 1000ft.But even taken into account of pereception and unrealistic pilot braking, your observation of some of the planes stoppping in a VERY short distance is correct.

Hello Paul!The default FSX aircraft's flight characteristics are nowhere near where they should be. One of the worst perfroming aircraft is the out of the box Airbus, but I won't get into details about this because it's something that has been hammered over and over since the release of FSX. I have two recommendations for you on this issue:1. Look around the libraries and see if you can find a better airfile/.cfg file for the 737.2. In the .cfg file of the default 737, there is an area that looks like this:[GeneralEngineData]engine_type = 1 //0=Piston, 1=Jet, 2=None, 3=Helo-Turbine, 4=Rocket, 5=TurbopropEngine.0 = 0, -16.1, -3.2 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datumEngine.1 = 0, 16.1, -3.2 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datumfuel_flow_scalar = 1 //Scalar for fuel flow efficiencymin_throttle_limit = -0.75 //Minimum percent throttle. Generally negative for turbine reversermax_contrail_temperature = -30 If you notice, I have setup the min_throttle_limit to -.75. That means that when you apply reverse thrust, the engine would go as high as 75% thrust on reverse. If you increase this number, the more effective your reverse will be on this aircraft. The lower the number, the less effective. You may want to tinker with this number until you can achieve slow-down performance that comes close to what you want.It's all about the tweaking. Sometimes I wish that the people from X-Plane (Austin and Company) would join forces with ACES - then we would have the best of all worlds with this thing.Hope this helps!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Guest RonB49

If you still have FS9, select the Tin Mouse LAN Cargo 732, load it up with a full load of cargo, and land at Midway. It feels just right to me. R-

The default FSX aircraft's flight characteristics are nowhere near where they should be.I beg to disagree - the aircraft characteristics are exactly where they should be - to allow a novice with little or no experience to get a feel for the aspects of flight.

He He!Well said Reggie!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Guest bigean

I have experienced, at least with default and some addons, that the 737 slows down too quick on ILS at idle power. The real one tends to be hard to decelerate on approach and initial flaps, if I remember correct. And that's with large segments flying idle.On the other hand I know of a real test in an airline's Full Flight Sim, during a checkup, where they landed a 737 with lottsa Pax/Bag and could stop within 330 meters (1000ft). In that case they had to go to the limit (105KN final speed in clean air et cetera)Bigean