Sign in to follow this  
matifoopong

Airport names shown in my language

Airport names are shown in Korean in Little Navmap. (red circles in the image below)

If I choose "Use Navigraph for all features", airport names are shown in English, which I prefer.

If I choose "Use Navigraph for Navaids and Procedures" or "Do not use Navigraph database", then airport names are shown in Korean.

This behavior is observed with v2.8.12 as well as v3.0.2.beta.

My humble theory is that even though English was chosen as the user interface language in my MSFS 2020 when LNM was loading scenery library from it, LNM extracted Korean strings for airport names, because it is the default language of my Windows 10 installation.

Is there a way to have them displayed in English please?

spacer.png

1 hour ago, matifoopong said:

If I choose "Use Navigraph for all features", airport names are shown in English, which I prefer.

The Navigraph database has no translations for airport names. The airport exonyms are a MSFS peculiarity.

1 hour ago, matifoopong said:

If I choose "Use Navigraph for Navaids and Procedures" or "Do not use Navigraph database", then airport names are shown in Korean.

LNM takes translated airport names from the MSFS scenery library, namely the ".locPak" files.

I just walked through the code and LNM should really use English names if the program language is set to "American English". No matter what language is used in the OS.

You have to reload the scenery library after changing the program language since the translation of airport names happens during loading time and not runtime.

You can send me an issue report to https://albar965.github.io/contact.html  if this does not help.

Alex

Tested on Windows with German UI. All names show up in English when changing language to "American English" and reloading ("Brüssel National" vs. "Brussels National", for example).

2 hours ago, matifoopong said:

Airport names are shown in Korean in Little Navmap. (red circles in the image below)

This behavior is observed with v2.8.12 as well as v3.0.2.beta.

My humble theory is that even though English was chosen as the user interface language in my MSFS 2020 when LNM was loading scenery library from it, LNM extracted Korean strings for airport names, because it is the default language of my Windows 10 installation.

Is there a way to have them displayed in English please?

spacer.png

LittleNavMap may be using the langauge you have selected in Windows. Maybe try changing it to English before launching LNM?

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Now I see airport names displayed in English.

I changed Windows language from Korean to English before reloading the scenery database.

"User interface language" setting in LNM was always set to US English.

It has never been changed, because I could not find Korean from the languages menu.

Thank you very much, Alex and Dave, for helping me enjoy this great great utility.

3 hours ago, matifoopong said:

I changed Windows language from Korean to English before reloading the scenery database.

Strange. That shouldn't really be necessary but I cannot reproduce this here.

Alex

I tried again, and I confirm it can be reliably reproduced in my environment.

I do not think this is a serious issue, but I am willing to help you with tests and observations in case you are interested in finding the root cause.

Best regards

Matifoopong

10 minutes ago, matifoopong said:

I do not think this is a serious issue, but I am willing to help you with tests and observations in case you are interested in finding the root cause.

I agree it's not serious but I'd really like to know what's going on there. 🙃

Maybe you can switch Windows back to your Korean, reload the scenery library in LNM and then send me an issue report.

Alex