Sign in to follow this  
SusGofres

Textures look pixelated from a distance

Hello again...

I had finished customizing fs2004 with iFly737, German Airports 2-3 and shaders... But there is one thing that I have realized and I don't know how to solve it.

The textures of the plane look good, but for example, the grass (with orbx) when moving the camera has a sensation that the pixels are moving, and from a certain distance, I would say that about 20 meters it begins to look very pixelated . I don't know if it's because the resolution of my monitor is too big, or if it's just that way, but I would like to know.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I-0GbF7TSiXasTg8j-SyxpSmuT4vSBDZ/view?usp=drive_link

In the photo, as you can see, around the lower area of the photo you can see a straight line with almost no cuts. But from the tail of the plane, everything starts to look very pixelated. 

I hope there is a solution because then I see a video of ShortFinal, who was still playing fs9 3 years ago, and it looked pretty good, not very pixelated.

Greetings

I have realized that the link does not work as expected, I will see if I can change it 

Looks "normal" to me 🙂

That "moving pixels" effect can be down to the bitmap being re-scaled at different distances so's to improve framerates ... effectively loading a smaller image for distant objects. The concept can work well for individual items, like buildings etc., which don't need detail at distance, but with continuous expanses of the same texture the effect can be a little off-putting.

You can try adjusting the various settings in FS9 to reduce or even eliminate the effect, Options | Settings | Display, but the result may be less "realistic" and/or slow down frame-rates too much. Make a note of your settings to start with so's you can revert if you make no improvement 😉

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, chris_eve said:

Looks "normal" to me 🙂

That "moving pixels" effect can be down to the bitmap being re-scaled at different distances so's to improve framerates ... effectively loading a smaller image for distant objects. The concept can work well for individual items, like buildings etc., which don't need detail at distance, but with continuous expanses of the same texture the effect can be a little off-putting.

You can try adjusting the various settings in FS9 to reduce or even eliminate the effect, Options | Settings | Display, but the result may be less "realistic" and/or slow down frame-rates too much. Make a note of your settings to start with so's you can revert if you make no improvement 😉

Ok, thank you very much for the info, now I'll put it to the test. The settings I had were all the bars at maximum along with some tweaks. So it's easy to go back

Edited by SusGofres

Well, the strange effect on the textures is gone, I have lowered the mipbias to 5. The thing about the textures looking pixelated from a certain distance, I think it's the game and my monitor being very large...

It might be worthwhile double-checking any documentation that came with the sceneries and software in question.

I do know from experience that UK2000 (or was it Just Flight?) gave settings recommendations for a lot of the UKVFR FS9 scenery, to try to smooth out "distance effects", but that scenery is about as old as FS9 itself, so things, especially video hardware, will have changed 😉 

Haha ... your reply popped up as I was typing this! Enjoy 🙂

• Like 1