Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Autogen Shadows??

Guest Werd

HiIs it even possible to have autogen generating shadows? Take a look at this thread please:http://www.flightsimulationforums.com/view...d34f8c3b985d65dWe can clearly see autogen buildings generating shadows! How can this be possible? Shadows are activated in my fsx but I only get scenery shadows. By the way, I've downloaded some addon scenery wich contained some custom cities for Cuba. Fsx was rendering shadows for them since it's scenery and not AG. Image here:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181421.jpgI've noticed no performance hit at all, so in theory AG shadows shouldnt have a big impact on FPS as well. So why dont we have it?

Guest Nils79

I don't think that these buildings are autogen, if you look at the ground textures and how the buildings are placed to them.EDIT: Ups, sorry, looked at the wrong picture. Are the pictures from Laredo in DX10?EDIT2: I only have shadows on scenery objects (tested with DX10).

Guest Werd

No, those arent autogen shadows (at least the image I posted). However, what I was trying to say is that there is no performance hit at all while rendering shadows in fsx for a big amount of objects. I maybe went from 30 to 28 fps.. So just wondering how we can get true ag shadows. I tryied adding AG in the game as custom scenery (copy scenery/global to addon scenery) but it didnt work.

Hi there,autogen cannot generate shadows. And it's a good thing if you start doing the math. It's unlikely to have more than a few hundred custom placed objects in your viewshed while FSX supports up to 6,000 buildings per ~1.5 sq km. Even if autogen is drawn only a few km out you can easily end up with up to a million buildings and trees in sight. That's why autogen itself is already such a performance hog; I don't think you want to add dynamic autogen shadows at this point in time.Cheers, Holger