Sign in to follow this  
CaptainDunsel

Switches Work The Second Time

I recently purchased AAO, and I really couldn't be happier with all the options that have been opened up to me. I've been able to resolve all the restrictions that MSFS has created for handling my planes, so it's been a great find, well worth the cost. I do have a question though. I have a Honeycomb Yoke and Throttle, and they've been working fine with MSFS and AAO, but I do have an odd situation. About a fifth of the time when I turn a switch, the first time I do it, the action doesn't happen. That might be activating a light or turning a switch in the cockpit. The second time I try it, the action always works. I'm not sure what I can do from here, but I'd be glad to help troubleshoot what might be causing this because otherwise, this is an incredible tool, and I know I've only scratched the surface of what it can do. Thanks!

Sounds weird. I have the HC Throttle too, but I don't have any problems with it.

Could it depend on what is assigned to the switches? Any specific examples? There are so many options of what can be assigned, and most assignments can be done in multiple different ways. It is absolutely impossible to give any generic advice, sorry.

Make sure to blacklist all other hardware in AAO, so it can't interfere with the items that you do want to use (Hardware->Device Blacklist). Also, make sure that nothing else interferes, most importantly the simulator itself. You can only assign the same "thing" either in MSFS or in AAO, but not in both at the same time.

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)

I'll check for those situations, and if I find any, I'll take a look. Otherwise I'll list what doesn't work. Thanks for the really quick response.

Edited by CaptainDunsel

I believe I've solved it, thanks to your advice and the AAO "Watch Simulator Events" option. I watched that display closely and found that when I clicked an option, sometimes it would work the first time and sometimes it wouldn't, but every time I clicked the button, the option on the "Assigned Buttons" panel lit up as it should have. I looked at the Device Blacklist panel and found that I had several USB devices there, so I went through the process of testing them. I checked the connections of my Honeycomb Yoke and Throttle, and they were plugged directly into the back of my PC. I have a powered USB strip and thought what the heck, I'll give that a try instead. I plugged them into my powered strip, and everything has been working fine since. I don't really get that since I always thought direct connections to the back of the PC were better than through a USB strip, but I can't argue with success. 

Just reseating them might have actually been the fix, who knows. But at the very least, I know for a fact that my problem is/was related to the connection and not AAO. Thanks again for this amazing product - like I said, I know I haven't even scratched surface of what it can do. It would have been a bargain at double the price, and I'm only disappointed that I didn't buy it sooner.

3 hours ago, CaptainDunsel said:

Just reseating them might have actually been the fix, who knows

Still sounds weird. That is not something that is known to happen.

Maybe try disabling the Windows USB power management features (there is an option for that in the Tools menu - it is only available when AAO is started with the "As Administrator" option because it is changing the Registry. Computer has to be restarted after making this change)

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the reply. I looked at the panel, but it doesn't appear that I can insert an image on this site (yet). My Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals are listed three times, my Alpha Flight Control and Bravo Throttle Quad are listed once each, and I have "USB Input Device" listed 25 times. I saw your owner manual and read the entry, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do, especially with the repeated entries. Should I turn EPM off for all of them? If we're turning off the ability for Windows to power off my USB ports for some reason, I definitely want to prevent Windows from doing that.

Edited by CaptainDunsel

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, CaptainDunsel said:

turn EPM off for all of them!

What you are seeing is the representation in your Windows Registry. Not all of the devices are actually there, but Windows remembers them anyway...

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

OK, done! I'll monitor that and let you know. Thanks again... Maybe somone else will see this in the future and learn from it like I did.

I'm sure it was what you suggested, but everything is working perfectly now. Thanks so much for the quick response and help!