Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

Does TrackIR require the use of a hat(ball cap)?

I'm looking for an excuse to buy TrackIR, but in looking into it I noticed that the pics show the sensor clipping onto the bill of a hat, and if it requires I wear a hat at my PC that might be an excuse not to get it, as I am not a hat wearer and don't even have one. Origianly I thought the sensor just sits around your head, but now I think it requres a hat. Can anybody confirm?

Yes and no. If you use a headset then the new clip attachment (costs extra) does away with the need for a hat - otherwise some kind of headgear is needed. Track IR used to supply one free but I don't know if that's still the case.

Guest Grahame Myers

I think you'll be OK. I have a Sennheiser Headset, and the clip fits fine, although they appear to be a little thicker than yours.On their page here:http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-pro...ckClip-PRO.htmlthey state that it "Fits headset bands up to 1 1/4" wide and up to 1/2" thick", to be sure you can measure yours. I've been thinking metric so long I can't really imagine how thick that is, but I'm sure you have some way of measuring in inches!Hope this helpsRegardsGrahame

I made a headband with some velcro and fixed a spike (1 inch) on it that protrudes from my forehead. On top of the spike is a piece of reflecting tape that has been rolled into the shape of a cone. It works very well but it looks very weird. I just make sure I take it off when I leave the house so not to scare the neighbors.Cheers, Allard.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Guest jshyluk

Please read my review of the Gold Star winning TrackClip Pro, especially the Executive Summary at the bottom:http://www.avsim.com/pages/0207/TrackClip/TrackClip.htmI was able to get at Fostex, Sony, Koss, and Sennheiser headphones, but not Bose. The Senns had the thickest band, so I would be quite sure that your Boses should be fine. The best headphones for the Clip are the ones with the cheap metal band, like the Creative Labs set (although the speakers, well...) "Street style" headphones do not work, though. Since the street style headphones are meanst to be woprn with a hat, you might as well just use the Vector Clip. If worst comes to worst, you can mount a TrackIR TrackClip Pro holder by attaching a vertical piece of plastic or thick cardboard to the side of your headphones with strong tape. The Clip weighs very little, so the attachment point does not need to be inductrial strength. Also be aware that the TrackClip Pro will add some extra wires to your setup that are normally hidden when you just use the Vector Clip.Finally, if you order from NaturalPoint, they have a No-Questions-Asked returns policy if you can't make your TrackIR work. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM