Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirk98

Can One Run SP1 and a SP2 Version on Same Computer?

Hi all,I've got a small dilemma. I've updated to SP2 in order to continue working on the design of a new version of the L-188 electra for FSX. I need to remain in SP2 to work with the team.I have another good friend whose laptop computer has an on-board graphics card that won't recognize the shaders in SP2--so I can no longer fly multi-player with him.Is there a way (if I purchase another copy of FSX) to have both versions of FSX on the same computer--and use the SP1 version when I'm flying online with my friend?I know it's an odd question, but he can't get a new computer or vid card, so I'm looking for other options, other than reverting back to SP1 myself.Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You can do this, but you must change these folders each time you switch between the versions:- C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftFSX- C:Documents and SettingsMSFSLocal SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftFSX- C:Documents and SettingsMSFSApplication DataMicrosoftFSXIt works for me, but don't keep me responsible for possible problems. Just post here if you find out anything else relevant to this.

Thanks so much!So, with your recommendation, I could install my second copy of FSX on a different drive--how and when/where do I specify the docs and settings folders that you've modeled for me?That is, how do I "switch" between the versions?Sorry, this is a new concept for me.Yours

Bill, it is hardly a recommendation. If it doesn't help you as it is, I would not recommend you to mess with it. It will mess your system up for sure. I hope someone more experienced than I will pick up from here. Otherwise look again at what I gave you and think a little over what's there.PS: I would add that I have the both versions installed in one place, I just rename the folder names, for example: Microsoft Games to Microsoft Games SP1 then Microsoft Games SP2 to Microsoft Games.