Sign in to follow this  
FOD

D3D9 Crashes on Clean SP2 Installations

I have recently been contributing to this thread on the CTD forum. However, the crash is not really a CTD and, as it affects reasonably high spec systems with a clean installation of SP2 with no add-ons and is easily reproduced, it may be worth posting here where perhaps more experts might comment.In essence in full screen mode, SP2 initially loads normally but after changing location {say different parking slots} or day to night between 2 and 5 times, the loading indicator will pause at 100% for 5 - 8 secs {with the cursor showing the hourglass} and then FXS crashes with the standard dialogue showing a d3d9.dll error.It almost seems as though the crash is caused by a cumulative problem and also that, at the time of the crash, the system is loading too fast for its own good {sorry for the language; I wish I knew something about programming}. Unfortunately, none of the options suggested on the CTD forum have had any affect, so perhaps someone on this wider forum might be able to help?John Rooum

Guest firehawk44

Hi John,Sorry to hear you (and others) are having a problem with the DirectX file, d3d9.dll. First of all, I'm not a computer expert. I was reluctant to respond as this has never happened to me with Vista but a Google search regarding this problem indicates it's more than a FSX/SP2/Acceleration problem. According to Google, the problem centers around DirectX and the latest version needs to be properly installed (w/o any anti-virus program running in the background). First of all, the latest version of d3d9.dll should be 6.00.6001.17052, dated 11/30/2007, and size of 1787392. The dll is located in the Windows/System32/ main folder. If that's what you have installed, then you may have a corrupted entry in your Window's registry. In any case, I would go to the Microsoft DirectX website and download the latest version and reinstall it. You could install the DirectX version that came with FSX (see folder in main FSX directory under Setup), but most of those files appear old and may not be the latest and greatest as a lot has changed since FSX was published. Make sure you also install the March update for DirectX too. Lastly, you should uninstall/reinstall the latest display driver (I know that's been done before several times but it doesn't hurt). Make sure the old drivers are completely removed from your system using a driver cleaner before reinstalling.Best regards,Jim

Jim,Thanks for the help. I am using XP still rather than Vista {is that the problem I wonder?} and have tried the March DirectX update. However, I am using AVG on my FSX system, so when I get back to it, I'll switch off the AV, clean everything out and try again.As a matter of interest, this office system I use for AVSIM etc has a d3d9.dll file dated 4 Aug 04; yet it runs FSX SP2 without any crashes!!Thanks again, I'll post back once I have a go at the DirectX on my FSX system.John R

Guest firehawk44

"I am using XP still rather than Vista {is that the problem I wonder?}"I knew you had XP installed and it isn't a problem. You just won't have the DX10 Preview option. There are some issues with Vista too so I wouldn't jump over to the new OS unless you have a DX10 compatible video card and a good powerful system.Jim

Jim,Now tried several DirectX 9 updates on 2 XP systems. Both have the same results. Whether I have an original version of DX9 or the Nov 07 or Mar 08 versions, the d3d9.dll file remains V 5.3.2600.2180 dated 4 Aug 04. Other files are updated with each update but not d3d9.dll. In addition, I copied a d3d9.dll from my old system which does not give the error into my FSX system with no change. Perhaps the d3d9.dll you referred to is unique to Vista.I have not found any MS comment on this particular issue although they have been very supportive with other SP2 problems reported on the forum.I've also tried several NVidia drivers {I use DC Pro each time} again with no change. Looking at other posts, this bug can affect both 7 and 8 series cards so I suspect that it might be some form of hardware/software conflict in just certain versions of the cards {otherwise I am sure it would have been picked up in Beta}. Very odd ..........?John R

Guest firehawk44

"Perhaps the d3d9.dll you referred to is unique to Vista."No. Should be the same. Vista users also have d3d10.dll installed in their System32/64 folder.Here's the only other suggestion I found. Try this KB at Microsoft:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256182/en-usIt really is frustrating to know that things work on some computer systems perfectly and don't work on similar systems for others.Best regards,Jim

Guest fsxmissionguy

I am a computer expert, and this is bad advice:" ... without any anti-virus program running in the background ..."Never follow this advice from anyone, including Microsoft. Always have your anti-virus program running in the background while you download and install software from any source. Any source. Major companies have inadvertently released installation programs infected with serious viruses and trojans.After you've decided you trust the software, you can disable on-demand scanning in selected folders (such as the FSX texture folders) to improve performance.

Jim,Afraid no luck. I tried a clean boot followed by a re-install of the latest download. As before, a section of files are changed but not the d3d9.dll. It obstinately remains at the Aug 04 version.I see there are some DirectX uninstallers advertised. Should not really be necessary as MS does not provide one {and might be risky as DX is so deeply embedded in Windows?}Also found sites offering d3d9.dll downloads; all either earlier or the same version as mine.I'll just keep hunting for some way of getting a later version. Many thanks for your help.John